Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
dirty trail dog
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering about how the shock mounting location affects the feel and performance of a single-pivot bike. I am looking at the Atlas, and its forward shock mount on the downtube. Compare that to, say, a Heckler or Prophet, which has its forward shock mount on the top tube.

Is one position better than the other? Does it even matter? How does this affect all that "falling rate" stuff I've been reading about? Does it affect climbing?

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
I would think that the connection between the swingarm and shock (if there is a link there- ala 575) and the position of the main pivot are more important... but I would also like to know if this is wrong....

·
Registered
11 Posts
loadedcarp said:
I'm wondering about how the shock mounting location affects the feel and performance of a single-pivot bike. I am looking at the Atlas, and its forward shock mount on the downtube. Compare that to, say, a Heckler or Prophet, which has its forward shock mount on the top tube.

Is one position better than the other? Does it even matter? How does this affect all that "falling rate" stuff I've been reading about? Does it affect climbing?
Let me take a crack at this.

Assuming that the frame is designed to withstand the forces of the forward shock mount, it's location on the frame shouldn't have an effect on the bikes handling. I'm sure there are trade-offs with the mount location and the local stiffness of the frame. i.e. how much local bracing is needed to spread the forces, but I thinking that keeping the shock at an tangential angle to the swing-arm path is the most critical item, since I believe that you want the shock to have a linear/predictable response to the swing-arm movement.

I'm sure that there are other people more qualified to talk about this, but you might want to take this question to the suspension forum.

Jack B.

·
dirty trail dog
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jf3slow said:
I'm sure that there are other people more qualified to talk about this, but you might want to take this question to the suspension forum.
That's a good idea.

What you said makes sense though. I'm not even close to being an engineer type so alot of that is lost on me. ;)

Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.