Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas, is the Pike the typical go to front fork on a Stumpy FSR for a frameset build?

I dont see many Fox34, Maguras, Formulas, Diamond in the front?

Also to keep or dump the current Fox rear shock in favor of a Monarch RC3?

I tend to set and forget, so simple is better.

Durability, reliability and less fussy to mess with are important criteria for me.

Yes, I am well aware of Craig @ Avalanche to tune accordingly.

Thx!

·
Registered
Alive So Go For A Ride
731 Posts
Hey fellas, is the Pike the typical go to front fork on a Stumpy FSR for a frameset build?

I dont see many Fox34, Maguras, Formulas, Diamond in the front?

Also to keep or dump the current Fox rear shock in favor of a Monarch RC3?

I tend to set and forget, so simple is better.

Durability, reliability and less fussy to mess with are important criteria for me.

Yes, I am well aware of Craig @ Avalanche to tune accordingly.

Thx!
I just build up a Epic S-Works with a set of Fox 34 set to 110mm of travel.
If simple low servicing and all round great SJ FSR
I would stick to the Standard Fox Shock and a pair of Fox 34 front.

Happy building and riding

Kiwi Pete out Bikepacking somewhere ☺

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mine is with Pike 150-120 and Monarch+ Debonair for 26" evo (rear travel 140). Wonderful setup for every Trail!

Inviato dal mio Mi-4c utilizzando Tapatalk

·
Registered
569 Posts
I built mime with a fox 34 talas, never had a pike, but have had several rock shox high end forks come on bikes that I bought, and was not happy with them, I love the adjustability of a talas on long tight climbs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you want simple, what about the Yari? I kept breaking Revelations on mine (2015 stumpy evo 29) 1st set blew the air cartridge out 2nd ride, 2nd set started clicking after 8 months. Bought a set of Yari's while RS decided to send a 3rd set of revs out.... Kept the Yari sold the Rev. Slightly more offset than the Rev - about 6mm? - but (I hate to say it) was a quicker bike through the trails on Strava off the bat. 3 tokens, 65psi and Ive done nothing else to them. Performed faultlessly at BPW last month.

·
Registered
790 Posts
My riding buddy did a frame up stumpy build and went with a RCT3 Pike. He seems real happy with it. He did pick it over the FOX due to the ability to switch to lesser travel, but since he has had it never actually switches off the 160mm mode.

·
Less talk, more ride...
246 Posts
I used a 140mm Pike RC3 to replace the stock Fox on my Stumpy, along with a Monarch RT3. Wonderful combination. What year is your frame?

·
Registered
459 Posts
Dont know much about the rest, my Pike fork on my stumpy is a FREAKN beast. I leave my Fox (kashima) in Trail Mode ALL THE TIME, plenty stiff at that setting and plush when you need it.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

·
High Desert MTBer
5,468 Posts
2015 Stumpy 650b carbon, only ridden it a few times since I got it a week ago as a used bike from a guy on Pinkbike. I had to replace the BB, lengthen the rear brake hose, change the front brake disc, but now it is riding much better. However, I am not too happy with the stock Fox CTD rear shock. I always like to have a couple of shocks for each bike I have anyway, so I just got an RC3 Monarch Plus, and plan to pop it in there today to check it out. There's something about the Fox that I am just not 100% with, so we'll see how the Monarch works out.
I am getting to like the Pike more each ride, but it does seem to take some fine tuning on the rebound side. I just about have it dialed in how I like it now, and changing the 2.4" Trail Kings it came with for 2.35" Nevegals has helped the front end a lot... and saved a pound in weight on the tires alone!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Mine is with Pike 150-120 and Monarch+ Debonair for 26" evo (rear travel 140). Wonderful setup for every Trail!

Inviato dal mio Mi-4c utilizzando Tapatalk
Hows the Monarch doing for you, I have the Kashma Fox in the rear, same frame as you, (29er). How does it compare to the Fox?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I don't think I could imagine a better fork for the Stumpy than the Pike.

A Monarch with a small aircan would be my ideal too as I like servicing suspension and I haven't used a Fox product apart from the new 36 and recent 40's that didn't feel like it had excessive seal stiction.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts