Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking @ purchasing a 2010 Remedy 9 w/ the DRCV rear shock. I am a little worried about the performance & lack of shock options. Has anybody fitted another shock on this frame ? Thanks.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I know i'm not answering your question but what specifically are you looking for that the stock shock might not provide?

·
Registered
9,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ruds said:
I know i'm not answering your question but what specifically are you looking for that the stock shock might not provide?
I have not been impressed by any air shock's performance when compared to a properly sprung coil shock. I purchased the frame and figured out how to mount a standard shock - The upper rocker link uses 6900 bearing which have a 10mm id. Remove those and install a set of 608 2rs for a 8mm id. The new 8mm id reducers needed will span 49mm. Only thing left is a 8mm bolt / nut, of choice, to mount it together. Not much of a big deal really.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Fair enough, I've never ridden a coil shock, on a properly setup one on a Remedy how do you think the pedaling performance will compare?

There are also a few DIY mods on this forum which you may not have searched for yet?

·
Registered
9,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ruds said:
Fair enough, I've never ridden a coil shock, on a properly setup one on a Remedy how do you think the pedaling performance will compare?

I can't apply a comparison on the Remedy because I need to build the frame up. I can make a comparison on the many FS frames and shocks I have tried. I will tell you what I think about air shocks, (-) they can be harsh on small bumps and high speed chatter, Wallow quite a bit, (+)seem to take bigger single hits nicely & the Propedal can be ok for smoother climbing. Coil shocks offer excelllent support, small bump compliance, smooth high speed chatter, (-) really need some sort of compression aid to belp bottomout & most do not feature a pedal performance aid. So I went from a Fox RP23 to a Marzocchi Roco TST - I thought the Propedal was great for climbing but was a bit harsh for technical terrain, Roco's TST felt just as firm but tracked technical terrain better. Descending the Roco felt a lot better than the RP23. I recently replaced the Roco w/ a Cane Creek Double Barrel - better in all aspects except no platform pedalling aid. I can run the low speed compression to control movement but it is still present.

There are also a few DIY mods on this forum which you may not have searched for yet?

Have not seen any yet, I am not the best @ searching.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I'd check out how you like the DRCV shock first. The dual chamber is supposed to come a lot closer to feeling like a coil ramp up apposed to a standard single chamber air shock's ramping. I have a Fuel EX with the DRCV and it does have a nice ramping. My other ride for comparison of a coil shock is my Kona Coiler.

And to answer your actual question... Nope, I don't know of a direct replacement, but it sounds like you've found a work around.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts