Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 lithium 4.0 and I'm considering a shock change to get 0.5" more rear travel: now I have an air swinger 3-way 7.875"x2" and I'm getting 5" of rear travel, but I think with an air swinger 3-way 7.875" x 2.25" I'm going to get 5.5" of rear travel.

What do you think about this?

Thanks

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
I would be careful

JaviA said:
I have a 2005 lithium 4.0 and I'm considering a shock change to get 0.5" more rear travel: now I have an air swinger 3-way 7.875"x2" and I'm getting 5" of rear travel, but I think with an air swinger 3-way 7.875" x 2.25" I'm going to get 5.5" of rear travel.

What do you think about this?

Thanks
The bike is listed as a 5" travel bike. Adding stroke may effect the geometry of the bike or the suspension linkage. I could be way off base here, but I'd be careful in jumping into this. I'm sure someone else will come along soon and either confirm my suspicions, or set me straight. I hope for your sake I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure there's a reason they put a 7.875 X 2 shock on that bike.

Bob

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
Call_me_Clyde said:
The bike is listed as a 5" travel bike. Adding stroke may effect the geometry of the bike or the suspension linkage. I could be way off base here, but I'd be careful in jumping into this. I'm sure someone else will come along soon and either confirm my suspicions, or set me straight. I hope for your sake I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure there's a reason they put a 7.875 X 2 shock on that bike.

Bob
Especially if there is more stroke with the same i2i length, meaning the shock will compress further, so there is a chance of tire or frame contact. You would have to cycle the shock all the way down to make sure.

I upgraded my FSR to a longer i2i shock, which extends the suspension further (and yes will change the geometry a bit) but avoids binding and contact at bottom out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.