Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a zen that I purchased off of eBay --- it's been working just fine and I love it, but since 5th element is no longer in business, my question is this: how easy is it to drop a new, say, fox float or other shock into the frame? I think it's a 6.5"x1.5" shock, so does all of the other mounting hardware work in every shock?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
RC JonB said:
I have a zen that I purchased off of eBay --- it's been working just fine and I love it, but since 5th element is no longer in business, my question is this: how easy is it to drop a new, say, fox float or other shock into the frame? I think it's a 6.5"x1.5" shock, so does all of the other mounting hardware work in every shock?

Thanks.
It you have a 5th Air the mounting hardware will not fit. It uses Spherical ball joints that are unique to the 5th Air instead of standard DU bushings like most shocks.

Most other brands are compatible with each other. Fox, Marzocchi, 5th Coil, Newer Rock Shox (Monarch,Vivid) all use 1/2 inch (12.7mm) hardware.

Manitou and older Rock Shox use 12 mm, and are not compatible with those above.

With the proper mounting hardware I would think most 6.5X1.5 shocks should be an easy swap.
I'm not sure of the exact size (width,bolt size) needed for the Zen though.
Hopefully someone from MC will chime in with that info.

Hope this helps.

BTW: The only reason I know this is because I've been through it before.:madman:
I have a 5th Coil with Marzocchi hardware and a RS Monarch with Fox hardware.:D

·
Registered
131 Posts
If I recall correctly the frame needs 22.2 x 6 mm hardware. I'm sure about the 6 mm bolt size; you can easily confirm the 22.2 by measuring the width of the current shock at the bushings with the mounting hardware still in place. I have had a 2006 Fox Float R mounted that worked fine and currently I have a Magura Hugin on my Zen that works a bit better. I could mount the Fox only one way around because else the valve would interfere with the frame (this is no problem however and with the newer Foxes this is likely no problem anymore). In addition to what mcrumble already mentioned, both DT Swiss and Magura use their own kind of spherical mounting hardware.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've replaced the 5th with a Fox RP3. Couldn't be happier, the spherical bushes on the 5th made the back end way too noodly and couldn't have done the swingarm any favours, I had two break at the weld at the forward end of one chainstay on both occasions.
The Fox has stiffened up the back end laterally quite nicely and puts the power down much better than the 5th ever did. The 6mm mounting hardware wasn't difficult to get at all.:thumbsup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.