Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed an old Rock Shox Jett to replace my RST fork. It has the long rubber boots on it which are a pain to hold up and clean underneath.

Any problem with cutting these off? Or with this old fork, is it better to leave them on?

I had cut the ones off my old RST and it sure did look better, but I wasn't worried about it as much since I knew it would be replaced. But it made maintenance much easier.
 

·
Probably drunk right now
Joined
·
6,753 Posts
I'd cut them off...

ncblue said:
I just installed an old Rock Shox Jett to replace my RST fork. It has the long rubber boots on it which are a pain to hold up and clean underneath.

Any problem with cutting these off? Or with this old fork, is it better to leave them on?

I had cut the ones off my old RST and it sure did look better, but I wasn't worried about it as much since I knew it would be replaced. But it made maintenance much easier.
They don't really serve a purpose. Their intent is to protect the uppers. What they actually do is trap dirt against the uppers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ken. I was reading somewhere that the seals were not as good back then and that's why they had boots. Do you think the seals on this old one are okay?

It's a Jett XC if that makes a difference. i can't find much info on it online.
 

·
~Disc~Golf~
Joined
·
16,496 Posts
ncblue said:
Thanks Ken. I was reading somewhere that the seals were not as good back then and that's why they had boots. Do you think the seals on this old one are okay?

It's a Jett XC if that makes a difference. i can't find much info on it online.
If you are judicious about keeping the stanchion/seal clean, it will not be a problem - even if the older seals are sucky.
 

·
Underskilled
Joined
·
4,745 Posts
Sorry to contradict, but they were fitted for a reason.

if you live in arizona, you can probably cut them off, but if you get near muddy water leave them on.
 

·
Probably drunk right now
Joined
·
6,753 Posts
Why?

CaveGiant said:
Sorry to contradict, but they were fitted for a reason.

if you live in arizona, you can probably cut them off, but if you get near muddy water leave them on.
What's your reasoning. Please reconcile with the reason why they stopped booting forks.

Boots aren't sealed. Grit and grime gets in the boots. And stays there.

They were "fitted" for the same reason that a lot of bad ideas make it to market: An engineer has a theory that isn't vetted in the real world. Biopace and ISIS are two other components that were "fitted for a reason". That doesn't mean the reasoning is correct.

Edited to correct spelling.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
235 Posts
I don't know much about bicycle suspension fork but on motorcycles
they put boots on to protect against flying debris that can scratch the metal
and not against dust. I assume it's similar with bike forks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is what it is, but i do take care of my old beater. I cut the one's off the RST just so I could keep it cleaned and lubed. Would you recommend cutting them off? I hate to take the thing apart just for that.
 

·
I Have Cookies
Joined
·
2,644 Posts
highdelll said:
These shock boots are awesome!! :D

*photo courtesy of 'CaveGiant'
Hey he forgot to give his shock a "sock"!!
 

·
XC Ground Pounder
Joined
·
408 Posts
Cut them off. They were a bad idea back then, they're a bad idea now. They're only going to make your life harder when dirt and muck and grime ruin your seals.
 

·
Sneaker man
Joined
·
3,600 Posts
I have 2 sets of manitou 3's one spent most of it life without booties, one with, the one without is scratched and worn to all hell, the other, all shiney and smooth...
I thought they started using booties as dust and gunk got in there and the seals weren't that sealing... but when open bath stuff turned up they became next to useless...
 

·
Underskilled
Joined
·
4,745 Posts
Hey I didn't realise my fork boots were famous.

The design is better now, got a commerciall heat sealer and plastic sheeting.

My boots are weightless, have oil in to continually lube the stancs and look a BIT better.

Same with most things, a badly designed boot i.e. lizard skins, holdsmud on the stancs. Mine is watertight, no mud/water getting through and adds lube and resists damage.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top