Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all...Was wondering of someone could help me with my Sunday shock bolts on the pivot. I picked her up last and have just been up and down the road playing with the settings!!!!! Yesterday I noticed that a bolt was sticking out a little bit!!!!! I tied to tighten it but the allen key won't go in the bolt!!!!! Also the place where the bolt goes into the pivot is sticking out a little too!!!!! I've tried pushing the metal thingy back in but it won't move!!!!! Normally I'd just take my bike back to the shop and get them to sort it but its a 1 1/2 hour trip on the very busy Japanese trains if I do that!!!!!!! Was wondering if the bolts are a standard size so I could just get some more from the bike shop easily?????? Or would they have to order them from the US(the season starts on the 22nd April)?? Also how would I be able to get the metal thingy seated properly???? I'll include a few photos (the photo of the bolt on the right side of the bike(riders perspective), is fine...its the left hand side thats the problem!!!!)
Thanks in advance

Attachments

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
It could be that the mounting axle (the part sticking out) is too long, or else it's not tightened all the way on the right side.

Remove the right hand bolt (the one that looks ok) and determine if the mounting axle is flush with the surface of the linkage, or if it is recessed a few millimeters.

If it's recessed, push the axle through so it's flush on both sides. Locktite the bolts and tighten them. Here are some torque specs Vulcan posted that he got from IH:

3mm bolts - 70-80in lbs.
4mm bolts - 85-95in. lbs.
5mm bolts - 100-105in lbs.
6mm bolts - 115-125in lbs.

If the mountng axle is too long, as a temp fix you can find some 8mm washers and fit them around the protuding section, then tighten the bolt against that. I'm sure your shop or IH or Progressive will take care of you, but the washers will get you on the trail quickly.

What's up with your wrench not fitting? Is it just one bolt causing a problem, or is it all of them?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Speedub.Nate said:
It could be that the mounting axle (the part sticking out) is too long, or else it's not tightened all the way on the right side.

Remove the right hand bolt (the one that looks ok) and determine if the mounting axle is flush with the surface of the linkage, or if it is recessed a few millimeters.

If it's recessed, push the axle through so it's flush on both sides. Locktite the bolts and tighten them. Here are some torque specs Vulcan posted that he got from IH:

3mm bolts - 70-80in lbs.
4mm bolts - 85-95in. lbs.
5mm bolts - 100-105in lbs.
6mm bolts - 115-125in lbs.

If the mountng axle is too long, as a temp fix you can find some 8mm washers and fit them around the protuding section, then tighten the bolt against that. I'm sure your shop or IH or Progressive will take care of you, but the washers will get you on the trail quickly.

What's up with your wrench not fitting? Is it just one bolt causing a problem, or is it all of them?
Thanks for the info!!! I'll give it shot tonight!!!!!! The problem I'm having is with the allen key!!!!! I think when the shop put the bolt in, they stripped the inside of the bolt (where the allen key goes in) as there are bits of metal meaning I can't get the allen key in properly!!!!!! (I'm using Parks allen keys so its not the allen keys)

I was also having a problem with gettign a ratchet to fit in between the frame to adjust the vloume setting on the 5th element but managed to sort that now!!!!! Wish I was back home so I could just take it down to TF Tuned and get them to sort it!!!!!!! Cheers for the reply

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.