Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
My bike was -TWO- Wheels!
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my Moab the rear shock mount rattles, like the bolt is loose. I have tried tightening it and what happens is that the bolt is bottoming out, it cant get any tighter. So I need to grind down the bolt I have then it shoudl work, the thing that I worry about is if I mess it up, can I get a new one.

It isnt like the regular "button head" bolts, they have a cone on the end. anyone know where to get them?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Can you post a pic of the linkage? I have a loose shock mount that is caused by the bushings that mount the shock to the bolt.

Jim

·
Registered
403 Posts
Don't do anything to the bolt. If it wasn't rattling when the bike was new it's fine. The problem is the bushings in the shock eyes are worn and need to be replaced. Also the aluminium frame spacers may need to be replcaced too. These are normal wear items and need to be replaced about once a year, depending on how much you ride.

Mike

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
summitlt said:
On my Moab the rear shock mount rattles, like the bolt is loose. I have tried tightening it and what happens is that the bolt is bottoming out, it cant get any tighter. So I need to grind down the bolt I have then it shoudl work, the thing that I worry about is if I mess it up, can I get a new one.

It isnt like the regular "button head" bolts, they have a cone on the end. anyone know where to get them?
Like dartman said...it's the bushings and the reducers (he didn't say reducers, but I'm sure that's what he meant). Once they get some play they need to be replaced.

Go to your LBS or contact the shock manufacturer for replacements.

·
My bike was -TWO- Wheels!
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, the bikes got 700+ miles on it right now, so I gues that could be it. Didnt really think of it... How much will the reducers cost? Cant be too bad.

U

·
0 Posts
Consider replacing with a BETD StrongBolt

I don't know anything about the Moab, but some bikes just wear bushings fast. 700 miles is about all I got out of the normal Fox bushing and reducers on my FSR XC. BETD's strong bolt last twice as long and when it does wear you only need to replace the bushing. Five bushings from BETD cost 15 pounds. In the UK that's the price of one Fox Bushing kit that barely lasts 700 miles (I actually noticed it knocking at around 300 miles and lived with it for anouther 300!).

There are other good solutions to this problem I'm sure, but BETD has been great for me.

·
'18 Transition Sentinel
1,004 Posts
UKMac, do you use Hula Hoops, too?

UKMac, do you also use Hula Hoops bush with your BETD Strong Reducer/Bolt?

UKMac said:
BETD's strong bolt last twice as long and when it does wear you only need to replace the bushing. Five bushings from BETD cost 15 pounds.
I have those reducers, too, in conjunction with Hula bushes. The one-piece/put-thru shaft reducers (for both upper & lower eyelets) are really great (no more bent bolts), but I find the Hula's to wear out rather quickly (easy replacement, nonetheless), as in just a few hundred miles at most. Do you find this to be true, too, or is it just me? Just curious...

Thanks,
- PiroChu

U

·
0 Posts
I'm using the Hula Hoops bush

PiroChu said:
UKMac, do you also use Hula Hoops bush with your BETD Strong Reducer/Bolt?

with the StrongBolt. So far it has lasted longer than the metal bushing in the Fox kits (which by the way are made by BETD for the UK Fox distributor Mojo), and I'm still on my first one. I must admit though, I haven't ridden with it in worst winter conditions yet. My guess is that I'll wear them out much faster in the winter just like I did with the Fox Bush Kits, but at least all I'll have to change is the Hula Hoop and not the reducers too.

Overall I'm very pleased with the change to the BETD system. I also bought the bushing removal/installation tool which is makes changing the bushing a snap. The only negative as far as the tool goes is its price; at 30 pounds I think it's quite expensive for what you get, but I still don't regret buying it.

·
'18 Transition Sentinel
1,004 Posts
UKMac,

Thanks for your confirmation. I guess I either just happen to have a bad batch of stuff as a fluke, or - worse yet - my shock eyelets themselves are worn out unevenly...(!?). (Only 800 miles on the frame/shock/BETD so far, though.)

Yes, I agree - I really like what the BETD products that I got let me do on my bike, otherwise.

Anyway, here's my prob (related to quickly worn-out bushes?), just in case you missed my earlier post (below), just FYI... Bushes shouldn't be toasted within a couple hundred miles, in my opinion, but it seems to be just me. So it could be something else that's causing it...(?)

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=31751

Thanks again,
- PiroChu

U

·
0 Posts
I took a look at the old thread you included

And it looks to me like you're correct that accelerated wear is due to the side-to-side movement of the bush on the bolt. It looks like the spacer isn't quite right for the shock/linkage system you have. This is quite strange since you have a BETD linkage too, which I assume included the StrongBolt.

I'd contact BETD and try to get them to send you the right one. I have a 2001 FSR with the BETD linkage and there is absolutely no side-to-side play since there are no gaps in the spacer-eyelet-bolt.

U

·
0 Posts
Ok I just read the old thread more carefully and see

that you've already called BETD. I still think it's not right and would contact them again! You can offer to email them the pics you've posted or direct them to your post (one of the guys there actually has spent a lot of time on MTBR). You really need a slightly wider spacer.

·
'18 Transition Sentinel
1,004 Posts
Yes, I had contacted BETD, and received this response back in late-June...

What i can do for you is make you some spacers that are a very tight tolerance to the shock. If you can tell me the size that you need, if that helps
But I don't want any spacers, obviously. I want the whole kit that's correct all together. And how am I (the regular-Joe) going to measure the exact size of the 'gap', and not to be off by less-than-a-millimeter accuracy?

I thought this was a bit "un-BETD-like" response (because usually they've been much more helpful than that). I haven't followed up after that (kinda gave up), but I think I will again now, with your encouragement. I'll see what they say...

Thanks,
- PiroChu

U

·
0 Posts
Some more thoughts

I think the spacer that the BETD guy is referring to is the sleeve that fits over the left side of the StrongBolt. If that’s the case then the proper size spacer should be exactly what you want. You can measure how much of a gap you have with the current spacer by using some spark plug feeler gauges used for gapping spark plugs. See if any of your friends who do their own work on cars have a set. As a last resort you can probably buy a set at an auto parts store for around five bucks (this is just a guess, since I’m out of touch with US prices).

A second point that may be worth considering is I noticed the BETD Hula Hoop at the top eyelet also moved; I have the same bike as you and have never had the Fox bush on the top eyelet wear out. The fox spacers prevent the shock from moving side to side, so going back to the Fox set up on the top might help.

The bottom line is that I’d definitely take BETD up on the offer to make you a new spacer; it will likely solve your problem. Good luck, and let me know how it turns out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts