Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Trying a little
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pick the best year say 2004.
What are the relative pluses and minus of the shiver over the super-T and vice vers.
Would you run a super T today or a shiver, if that was your only choice ( 180mm travel frame )

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Boy, as much as I like the nostalgia of the Shiver, I'd go with the Super T. I think the Super is actually a bit stiffer even though the Shiver gives the impression of two telephone poles tied together. The slight weakness comes in the lack of an arch and the small stanchions. The Super T only has 32mm stanchions, but they're tied together with an arch and the dual crown design. The Shiver is relatively heavy too, if I remember correctly. It wouldn't be a poke in the eye with a sharp stick to have to use a Shiver, but probably the only real reason to use one these days would be for pure sex appeal and/or you had one leaning against the wall in the corner with nothing to do.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,605 Posts
dogonfr said:
I'll drink to that plus Shiver parts are almost non existent. :cool:
?

35mm seals are easily found. Some shiver parts may be non-existant, but there really aren't many that ever fail. The super T would be the same way anyhow (the current fork called the "super T" is not this old fork).

I really liked my shiver, but at the time there wasn't too much that was better. It definitely wasn't the best for torsion, but it had dual HSCV carts in it, lots of oil volume, and was just ultra-plush. If you need the travel/ride height offered by the shiver (190mm), it may be the way to go, otherwise if the super T travel is adequate (170mm) it probably is the way to go.

·
Trying a little
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies. I've never ridden a good year Super Tee but have ridden a good year Shiver and for pure bump-soaking it beat any other fork I tried (brief rides only 888RC, Totem, 66SL, Fox36, Fox40) hands down, truly felt "like butter" I have never really understood what that meant, but that shiver erases the bumps like nothing else

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.