Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Innovate or die!
702 Posts
hm

Dorados are lighter but are way more high maintinence compared to the shiver. Without race kit, Dorado owners i know take theirs apart every month or two anyway. Just ask SMT about his buddies dorado problems. BTW X-Werks was slotted becuase of problems, so program is discontinued. Shiver might be pound heavier but will take more abuse. Honestly, a kid like you could easily get away with a Boxxer. I would say scrap both of those and get an 05 team. But thats just my opinion.

·
Registered
819 Posts
i say shiver. the dorado has been banned from manitou for 06, this is because of fork matinence and problems. now they're comin out with the travis... maybe u should get that... i still think shiver is kick ANUS. but thats me.

·
Registered
270 Posts
i love my shiver. my buds have ridden dorados and the general opinion is that both are nice forks. the dorado is lighter. sounds like it is more maintenance to keep it up and running. i have also heard people say that the TPC dorado is great, but the SPV one is a royal pain to tune, and just not as nice as the TPC. you won't go bad either way.

·
Registered
217 Posts
yeah, your younger right? and pretty new to this whole deal. those forks on that bike are gonna weight you down a ton. if anything, they will just make you slower. they are gonna be harder to accelerate, more work to steer and move the bike around, and unless you live on a NORBA DH course, are just gonna be wasting cash. like everyone else said, go for something like a super T, more than enough travel, super plush, and alot lighter. Monster amounts of travel makes for a cool bike, but not neccisarly the fastest. if you insist on one of those, get the Zoke

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
Ohio_Huck said:
yeah, your younger right? and pretty new to this whole deal. those forks on that bike are gonna weight you down a ton. if anything, they will just make you slower. they are gonna be harder to accelerate, more work to steer and move the bike around, and unless you live on a NORBA DH course, are just gonna be wasting cash. like everyone else said, go for something like a super T, more than enough travel, super plush, and alot lighter. Monster amounts of travel makes for a cool bike, but not neccisarly the fastest. if you insist on one of those, get the Zoke
no one metioned 888? or 66?

·
Registered
301 Posts
What's up with the 888?

JBsoxB said:
no one metioned 888? or 66?
I sense that not to many riders on this forum like the 888. I've had one on my last two bikes, and they performed pretty sweet in my book. I'm not sure why they have such a bad rap.

G

·
IMO unless you weigh over 160 pounds I think the shiver is overkill. From what you are riding now, this fork is a huge leap. Even the dorado would be a huge leap. Ditch both of them and get a boxxer, it won't weigh down the front of the demo that your getting.

BTW, are your parents buying you this bike?

·
Registered
165 Posts
j6105 said:
Dorados are lighter but are way more high maintinence compared to the shiver. Without race kit, Dorado owners i know take theirs apart every month or two anyway. Just ask SMT about his buddies dorado problems. BTW X-Werks was slotted becuase of problems, so program is discontinued. Shiver might be pound heavier but will take more abuse. Honestly, a kid like you could easily get away with a Boxxer. I would say scrap both of those and get an 05 team. But thats just my opinion.
race kit...wat race kit?

·
Registered
160 Posts
being very satisfied with my dorado (First generation) i'd say shiver.
Demo's are great but not stripped down race bikes. Shivers are more reliable than the doomed Xworks. If it were the TPC version I'd kick you if you wouldn't choose for it though.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hmm, your dropping alot of money like "Ohio_Huck" said. Just make sure you know what ur doing. With that said I would go with either a Boxxer, 66, 888 just because these would be a better choice. Nothing agains your other choices just that they are really heavy and are made for people who launch 45 foot road gaps. A 66 would be your best choice. It won't hold you back on the DH but it also gives you better stearing and more opptions for riding style such as DJ, a little Urban FR and DH.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.