Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been monkeying around with placement of the front brake hose on my Shiver, but it keeps wearing away at the lower crown...

First, I had it loosely (very loosely) ziptied to the left leg, between the crowns, but that was wearing away at a seemingly critical spot.

Then I moved it over and ziptied the thing (very loosely, again) to the lower crown between the left leg and the head tube, but now there's a little gully in the lower crown, and I'm worried of failure or something.

if there are any other solutions, please fill me in.
I don't want to have to get new crowns.

bill

G

·
biblebasher said:
So I've been monkeying around with placement of the front brake hose on my Shiver, but it keeps wearing away at the lower crown...

First, I had it loosely (very loosely) ziptied to the left leg, between the crowns, but that was wearing away at a seemingly critical spot.

Then I moved it over and ziptied the thing (very loosely, again) to the lower crown between the left leg and the head tube, but now there's a little gully in the lower crown, and I'm worried of failure or something.

bill
I have the simplest solution there is to prevent this...
Just dont tie your brake cables to the crown(s):)

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
Try taking the wheel off, and spinning the dropout to the right once or twice so that the cable just wraps around the leg but is slack enough to still allow some movement.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
biblebasher said:

bill
that was happening on my z150 crown so i put a piece of tape there. the stupid brake cable will file off aluminum but just slides along the tape.

G

·
dream4est said:
that was happening on my z150 crown so i put a piece of tape there. the stupid brake cable will file off aluminum but just slides along the tape.
I have tape on my frame, so far the tape is lasting longer then the paint
Proof that duct tape is man's best friend

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
davet said:
Simple, use 2 tyraps. One around the crown, and another to make a loop to hold the brake line.
Whats the string for that is around your headset cup?

·
Registered
629 Posts
Had that problem too on my Shiver. Now there's a nice gully below the "M".

davet has a simple nifty idea.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts