Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is the wrong place. If it needs to be moved, admin, please move.

So I order by 1st bike in decades from Wiggle, while I live in Maryland.. Order the Vitus Nucleus 275 VRX.. I hope I ordered the right size..

Being that I haven't owned or ridden a bike in decades, I'm anxious to say the least and trying to track where my bike is. This is what's got me confused.

Based on what I found on DHL shipping, the order should go from the UK to Germany to the US, then through customs then to me. But my tracking seems a bit odd.

It was picked up in Belfast, then made it to East Midlands. From there it says it departed at 2200 hours. It doesn't tell me where it's going. Remember I'm checking the status multiple times a day and my understanding is that it's less than a 2 hr flight to Germany.

I'm check about 3 hrs later and it shows Customs Update Status "Cincinnati, OH" as the location.. And the time stamp is 2100 hours. I'm like WTH? Now I'm thinking it went from UK to US... skipped Germany all together.

Based on fights I was able to find, it's around an hr flight from the UK to OH. It's been well over 8hrs since it departed... and it's not saying it landed anywhere.. Is this normal?

Anyone know what might be going on? It also says Customs has given a release.. How can they release before the flight even left the UK? Here's a screen shot of the tracking.

Text Colorfulness Photograph White Red

Attachments

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Tell us if you get hit with customs fees. When I was importing bikes parts from England regularly I would get hit with fees anytime they were shipped via private carrier. Parcel Force/USPS generally cleared customs without fees.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Perhaps the package is cleared for shipping to the States, based on the Cincinnati status update.

Who said the bike was meant to be placed on a plane and not a slow moving ship in a container with other stuff?
And it's not a 1-hour flight to get from UK to United States. It takes 70 minutes to go from Chicago to Detroit.

The little note also indicates that as long as there are no other glitches, the package will proceed to delivery. I read that as in, it is ready to be shipped as of Friday at 22:00 from UK -without knowing what means of transportation.

Do you have DHL in your area? If not, there will be yet another delay when DHL hands it off to the next carrirer. You may or may not have tracking available once DHL satisfied the shipping to the States. Once they hand it to another carrier, DHL responsibility is over and shipping status will be completed.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
This must be a very special bike that you check the status hourly....

I assume DHL has made a shipment before and may have figured out the most economical way to send it to you. Just let them decide where to route it. Don't micromanage them.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This must be a very special bike that you check the status hourly....

I assume DHL has made a shipment before and may have figured out the most economical way to send it to you. Just let them decide where to route it. Don't micromanage them.
LOL.. It is.. It's my 1st bike in decades..

As of today 5/28. DHL's tracking info still hasn't changed.... still says it's estimated to be delivered today, even though it doesn't even show any tracking scans since it left the UK.

I'll let you guys know if I get hit with any fees.. Supposedly, Wiggle is taking care of them...

BTW, the only thing that's kept me from checking the status non stop is that I woke up to no water yesterday... It seems my well pump died Saturday night. Had to use bottles of water to shower.. This blow.. at least I can look for a plumber today, now that the holiday is over..

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I'll let you guys know if I get hit with any fees.. Supposedly, Wiggle is taking care of them...
I have purchased over $100k in parts from Europe, never did the seller pay for customs fees (including Wiggle). If fees get charged you will have to pay them, in cash, before the carrier releases the item to you. According to the Harmonized Tariff Schedule, you could be looking at 11% + processing fees.

https://hts.usitc.gov/?query=bicycle

·
Registered
913 Posts
Probably the paperwork. To expedite customs, the paperwork is sent along ahead of the package. I had the same thing happen with a bike I ordered from Canada. The tracking still showed the bike making it's way through Ontario, but there were also entries for a warehouse in NY. I'm sure everything is all good OP. Enjoy the new ride!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have purchased over $100k in parts from Europe, never did the seller pay for customs fees (including Wiggle). If fees get charged you will have to pay them, in cash, before the carrier releases the item to you. According to the Harmonized Tariff Schedule, you could be looking at 11% + processing fees.

https://hts.usitc.gov/?query=bicycle
WT?? What happens if I don't pay, do they send it back?

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
FWIW: I've had stuff get hung up at the US port of entry for a couple of weeks (or more). During that time, the item is in limbo. Usually it's only a day or two, but sometimes, for no apparent reason, it'll take a couple of weeks to clear. If I'm in a hurry to get something, I don't order from the EU.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
WT?? What happens if I don't pay, do they send it back?
I am not sure as I always paid. In my case the duty was inappropriately charged and I had to appeal. Every time I won the appeal and I got a refund of duty after about 6 weeks. The processing fees (typically $15 - $20)...not refundable, even after appeal.

You would have to check Wiggle's return policy for who would be responsible for return shipping costs if you were to reject delivery.

It's not 100% that you will get hit with duty charges, just don't be surprised if you do. Unless they changed the threshold, since your bike is over $800 it should go through the full customs process which slows things down.

Well, I think that all might be moot. I checked the Wiggle website. They say:

USA - Duty Paid on All Bikes*

All Customs duties due on bike purchases for US orders will be paid by Wiggle. This will be applied automatically at Checkout.

*For US Bike orders only. Please place orders for bikes separately from other goods
You might want to check your invoice.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You should be good OP. From Wiggle's Website:

"All Customs duties due on bike purchases for US orders will be paid by Wiggle. This will be applied automatically at Checkout."

https://www.wiggle.com/h/option/international
That's what I thought I read when I checked out.. Glad you saw it.

I'm still wondering where my Bike is.. I sent DHL a message this morning because the tracking status hadn't updated.. and it's still what I originally posted.. Haven't heard from anyone..

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
5/28 has passed and no bike was delivered by DHL..

One thing on DHLs tracking page change... I now see this: "The Estimated Delivery Date is currently unavailable. Please try again later."

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Should be delivered today. Local delivery station was backlogged with freight from Memorial Day holiday and got delayed. I work for DHL at CVG.
Thanks for the update, but that would mean it's sitting somewhere around me here in MD or DE. Why isn't there an update to the tracking showing that it actually left customs and made it here from OH? I find it very strange that it doesn't show the plane ever landed, after it took off from the UK.

Any help he greatly appreciated!

Update: I just realized CVG is the airport where it was suppose to enter the US.. By chance, did you see my bike?

On a serious side, can you give me an overview of what's happening? It's a bit confusing for me because it seems the paperwork for customs was sent electronically and all tracking just stopped after that. Being that the customs update says "Shipment has been given a release by Customs." Does that mean when it landed it actually just went on it's way to BWI?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Finally, I've got movement. DHL updated the tracking.

It's showing it was processed at Cincinnati Hub... Yea!!!

I wonder when it'll get to me now, since they haven't updated the delivery date....

Text Colorfulness White Line Font

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.