Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
ENDO!!!
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, as many of you know I am over here in Iraq. I'm in a tiny patrol base, with no riding opportunities. I have heard we may be moving to a larger place, and trying to plan ahead, I would like to get a bike there... I see this as opportunity to fulfill a SS itch, but I am not sure about shiping a bike to a APO address. Any one with any experience would be helpful. Thanks

·
Drunken fool
228 Posts
When I was there we had all kinds of weird shaped items shipped out, so that shouldn't be an issue if it's packed well...But they are flown in and thrown around quite a bit so will get beat to hell, especially if you are at a FOB in BFE. If it were me though, I would just buy a cheap as$ bike at the exchange when you get to a larger base. I would hate to have even a semi decent bike in that environment. You can pick them up cheap from guys that are leaving too. Are you able to find places to ride out there?

·
Registered
162 Posts
I concur with the previous post. Buy a bike of any kind from Hodgie, the PX, or even a bike disguarded and left behind. In my opinion that would be the way to go, I spent a year plus at Tikret and did the above, it sucked but .................hey I got a ride in now and then. Had to wait until I got home to Moto though!

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Shipped my sister a bike to APO when she was stationed in South Korea. No problems as the APO is just going to a military cargo port here in the states. USPS gets it to the coast, the military takes care of the rest on the next container going to wherever you are.

·
govt kontrakt projkt mgr
6,171 Posts
GT5050 said:
I just sold a bike on ebay, shipped it to an APO, no problem. Did it through USPS though, as Fed Ex wouldn't ship to APO.
However, unless things recently changed they do ship to a physical locat
ion---
such as Rank Name, FOB Whatever, name of nearest town, Iraq. And it did/will cost a LOT. And it was FAST-very. But as they say YMMV.

·
ENDO!!!
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I found that JensonUSA ships to APO, got a deal on the Peace 26" SS so I am now waiting for that to get to me. Cant think of a better bike for here. No suspension, no gears.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.