Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if if this is normal, but why is it that shipping calculators are seemingly inaccurate when shopping online?

Example: I had a bunch of stuff I was planning to order from Universal Cycles. Shipping was at $59 (to Canada). I added one 700c rim to my cart. The shipping came to $79 (understandably). When I add an additional 700c rim, the price of shipping goes up to $95. How does adding another 420 gram rim increase the shipping by $16 if theoretically the price has already increased to accommodate the increased size of the shipment. Surely another rim fits in the box (I know this because I have ordered rims from Universal before).

Understandably the rim size has bumped up the size of the box required to ship. It would seem that retailers are pocketing a lot of money here? Perhaps it is their method of making up for having the low prices, I am not sure.

I noticed Jenson was the same.

Has anyone avoided this by putting orders in over the phone?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Shipping is based on $ amount, not weight.

You would think the software could/would track weight of an order as items were added but I don't know of any MO place that does.

Maybe they do, but don't display it.

Sometimes the shipping charges are the only profit!

RoyDean said:
Retailers also sometimes make a profit on shipping charges, too.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
It's probably software issues more than anything. Sometimes internet/mail order places make shipping calculations that are below cost, too just to make it simpler. The only thing value/cost of goods does in terms of shipping is affect insurance or declared value expenses; freight companies charge by volume and/or weight and destination. There would be no reason to pack rims in separate boxes, though...and I doubt they would.

ps In the case of an international shipment I take it back, value can have an effect on cost (of Customs clearance expenses)...forgot the OP said Canada...

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Value is going to affect the customs and taxes when it comes into the country but none of that is calculated beforehand at the retailers online store.

Generally it should be increases and size and weight that drive up shipping costs. I have ordered rims for Universal in the past (along with a selection of other components. They were packed in a box wide enough for at least 3 rims, with the rest of the items in middle of the hoops. It just seems ridiculous to increase shipping costs by $16 for an additional 420 grams.

I guess it is all to help profits. Universal may have quick price matching but I have found a lower price for every item in my cart and they haven't been able to match a single one of the items (only reduce the cost by a couple bucks). I guess thats why they have their coupon codes.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
nspace said:
Value is going to affect the customs and taxes when it comes into the country but none of that is calculated beforehand at the retailers online store.

Generally it should be increases and size and weight that drive up shipping costs. I have ordered rims for Universal in the past (along with a selection of other components. They were packed in a box wide enough for at least 3 rims, with the rest of the items in middle of the hoops. It just seems ridiculous to increase shipping costs by $16 for an additional 420 grams.

I guess it is all to help profits. Universal may have quick price matching but I have found a lower price for every item in my cart and they haven't been able to match a single one of the items (only reduce the cost by a couple bucks). I guess thats why they have their coupon codes.
You might also try phoning in your order and discussing the shipping expenses with them...software can't do everything (unless you pay a lot for it).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.