Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
arefsha said:
I need to ship my Cannondale Gemini from the US to Europe. What is the cheapest way to do this? Does anyone know what an approximate cost would be? The bike weighs about 40 lbs.

Thanks,
Drew

[email protected]
It's going to cost a lot. Check with all the major carriers including DHL. They all have rate calculators on the websites.

·
Tripolar on most days
440 Posts
Try USPS (Post office)

Try and fit it in the smallest box possiable ( check the web site for sizes ) and extra inch makes a big differance. I shipped a freeride (RM6) frame and misc parts from Michigan to Germany last year and it was around $70.00 threw the post office.

·
Registered
230 Posts
40 lbs with packaging -- right?

Suggestion I thought of after writing what appears below: ship your clothes and other miscellaneous easily replacable [email protected], check in your bike on the plane. I believe you have something like a 60 lb limit for a checked in item, and if it's in a UPS box then it's fine. (By the way, put bubble wrap around the top, down, and seat tubes if not the whole damn thing--or at least line the case/box with cardboard).

Now the other part:

If it's 40 lbs without packaging, and not a downhill bike, then I'd save the money by leaving it here to be brutally honest.

I moved to Japan about seven years ago--just now relocating back to the US--didn't take a bike with me and didn't buy one for the two years of my first contract there. That was a big mistake. I never should have gone six months much less two years without a bike, and at the same time I would have done better to buy a used bike while over there. Taking my old bike was definitely not something I was about to do.

If the bike isn't worth a lot then it's easily replacable for cheap. If it's, honestly apart from sentimental value, a good bike then I would do whatever I had to . . . . (Da Capo for the idea I had at this point).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.