Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the most affordable way to ship a bike overseas? I am getting quotes from UPS online for about $500 to Italy and Britan. Is this how much I should expect?

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Yes...

Int'l shipping is freaking expensive... unless you can get someone who ships by ship and ground... almost impossible now everybody use planes.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
FedEx is cheaper....

I compared shipping the same item (in the Rate Calculator) to mexico....

Cosidering a bike packaged in a box of 36 X 12 X 32 in and weighing at 40pounds.

FedEx is cheaper (Around 280 bucks)
DHL and UPS are above the 350 ballpark.

Cheapest for me has been USPS but also it should be the slowest and relies on your domestic parcel sevice for delivery (I wouldn't risk a bike by mailing it thru the Mexican Postal Service, noooo waaayyyy!! I'd rather use a Nigerian parcel).

·
Premium Member
7,227 Posts
Just want to make sure, you are not sending this to buyer overseas?!!!! Be very careful with the scams going around.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
I would think that going as baggage might be

cheapest depending on how much luggage you've got already. A bit of a hassle, yes, but should be far less than $500 even with generous tips to the luggage dudes/cab drivers. As a former forwarder I can only tell you UPS is often good, but not always...shop around the majors and see what you get. The more time you have to get your bike in advance of your arrival the less you'll spend...then there's always rentals at destination.

·
Registered
40 Posts
It depends on the store

I know that wrenchscience.com ships overseas for 150$, and generally, when I was evaluating to buy my bike directly from US (to Switzerland), I saw that shipping charges are between 150 and 300$.

Note: Many online-stores have an agreement with the manufacturers (as Cannondale), in order not to ship bikes overseas.....

·
XCdude
1,323 Posts
US POSTAL service by far the cheapest also

bigdrunk said:
What is the most affordable way to ship a bike overseas? I am getting quotes from UPS online for about $500 to Italy and Britan. Is this how much I should expect?
the paperwork is very esy to do.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts