Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
The smaller the box, the cheaper it is. Get a quote on bikeflights.

Bought a bike from someone in Salt Lake and shipping as $98 in a normal (large) sized cardboard bike box.

Shipped same bike back home from a recent trip from Reno to Atlanta for $49 in a much smaller box.

·
No Clue Crew
7,633 Posts
I use bike flights a bit. They recently switched from FedEx to UPS and prices went up a bit. You also have to factor in insurance, particularly if you're selling.

Box size is critical, but if you're shipping a complete bike, well, there's not much you can do to make it smaller. My last complete I shipped, an XL 29er, about 10 days ago from Phoenix to Atlanta, fully insured, was $125.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I'm guessing I'm just that one in a hundred, and so far they have been responsive and it is really UPS's fault (though that's their subcontractor).

But I shipped a bike for a trip that starts this Sunday and it is totally MIA right now. UPS lost it. So after dealing with shipping my bike I am now going to be on a rental and probably out my bike and everything else that was in the bike bag.

Again, to Bikeflights credit, they are doing what they can. So I am not going to criticize them accept to say that every option has some risks and every once in a while you're the guy that has the bad luck.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I'm guessing I'm just that one in a hundred, and so far they have been responsive and it is really UPS's fault (though that's their subcontractor).

But I shipped a bike for a trip that starts this Sunday and it is totally MIA right now. UPS lost it. So after dealing with shipping my bike I am now going to be on a rental and probably out my bike and everything else that was in the bike bag.

Again, to Bikeflights credit, they are doing what they can. So I am not going to criticize them accept to say that every option has some risks and every once in a while you're the guy that has the bad luck.
That sucks. Always my fear of shipping, especially for a trip (time sensitive). Now that the airline I use treats bike cases as regular checked luggage (cost wise, if any at all), I take my bike on the plane with me for trips. But... still no guarantee it won't get lost.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
That sucks. Always my fear of shipping, especially for a trip (time sensitive). Now that the airline I use treats bike cases as regular checked luggage (cost wise, if any at all), I take my bike on the plane with me for trips. But... still no guarantee it won't get lost.
I thought about trying to track down another bike bag today (no one locally would have one for sale but I think my LBS would lend me one) and checking one of my other bikes. But I'm leaning towards cutting bait and renting.

If I ended up with another lost bike I would lose my mind. And I have a really tight connection on the flight out. LOL.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
American Airlines got rid of the bike fee, but they do still have the 50lbs limit. So go over that limit and its $150. Also, not all agents know about the rule. I had an AA agent tell me its $150 for bikes unless it was a folding bike. :/ He didnt mention anything about the weight limit, but its on their website, 50lbs max. Next trip I make, I'm going to fly Southwest, Frontier or Spirit. They are $75 one way with a 100lbs limit. Or ship my bike via Bikeflights.

·
Bikes in jeans
2,371 Posts
I typically jst box them up really well and UPS them.

You might look into airport to airport shipping. This is super common in shipping live animals like fish, someone needs to retrieve it from the commercial terminal though. Delta is the one that most people/companies use for live animals.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Bike flights is still the cheapest option in my Area.

Recently I tried shipping some wheels directly with UPS, they quoted me 140$ for the packing and shipping, I went and bought a box at Fedex, went on bike flights and selected wheels box, they quoted me 28$ plus the 10 bucks I paid for the box and the packing.

Then bike flights gave me the option to pick up (fee) or drop off at the nearest UPS (Free), i choose drop off and went back to the same UPS guy and dropped it off.

So I ended up paying 40$ instead of the $140 he quoted me lol..

·
Bikes in jeans
2,371 Posts
Recently I tried shipping some wheels directly with UPS, they quoted me 140$ for the packing and shipping, I went and bought a box at Fedex, went on bike flights and selected wheels box, they quoted me 28$ plus the 10 bucks I paid for the box and the packing.
Did you go to the UPS store to do that? Those are franchises and often almost 100% of the owner profit comes from insane pricing on their packaging services. I can ship a set of wheels with UPS inside the US for about $20 and a full bike for about $40 - $80 depending on the weight and size of the box.

·
Not a role model
1,312 Posts
bikeflights tends to be or matches the cheapest for me. $85 shipping without insurance from Cali, to another part of Cali was what I had to pay. Was still worth it compared to driving.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.