Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because of my intense hatred for any distance riding of any sort now that I have discovered DH, I decided to sell my old roadbike. 300 bucks.

Now, I am shipping it to boston, from chico california, in a box (55"x33"x8.5") Yea, its a big box. The price they quoted me online was 95 bucks from fedex.

Is this reasonable? I don't really know what to say, I thought it would be less.

·
Registered
576 Posts
that is big.

I know that fedex has a max size for there cheap rate on greound service. My crateworks bike box is 11x30x45.5 and its just under that size so it gets the cheap fedex rate. some other bike boxes are just a tad larger and can't get cheap fedex rate. I assue yours package is too large.

You can try UPS there size restrictions are more generious. I don't know about DHL.

The cheapest way to ship it is going to be to get it bellow the size restriction allowed by fedex.

·
Registered
179 Posts
$114.00 UPS Ground

I just shipped a bike from suburban Chicago to Colorado, $114.00 UPS ground, was charged oversize item so I was billed as if box was 90 pounds, actual weight 33 pounds. I was there and the bike was boxed so I went thru with it. I just asked my LBS for an empty bike box not realizing the diffrence the box size can make.

Any smaller box and both wheels would have had to come off but then I would not think a standard width bike box would be wide enough to out the wheels on the side? And maybe fork would have to be removed, any secrects I am not aware of?

·
Registered
11,763 Posts
Its just a quote...

Chicodude01 said:
Because of my intense hatred for any distance riding of any sort now that I have discovered DH, I decided to sell my old roadbike. 300 bucks.

Now, I am shipping it to boston, from chico california, in a box (55"x33"x8.5") Yea, its a big box. The price they quoted me online was 95 bucks from fedex.

Is this reasonable? I don't really know what to say, I thought it would be less.
go into a fedex customer counter. Youll see it ill be cheaper. At the sametime remember that at this time of the year a finite amount of shipping space in a aircraft is going for top dollar so Fedex might figure it can make more money off multiple boxes that would take up the same space as your one box.....

·
Registered
576 Posts
Ouch, and who said size doesn't matter.

When you put a bike in a transport box both wheels come off and the headset is loosened and rotated. Makes for a thicker box but the other dimenstions are less, works out to fit within the normal ground dimensions. I believe most LBS boxes work the same.

Tallsilver1 said:
I just shipped a bike from suburban Chicago to Colorado, $114.00 UPS ground, was charged oversize item so I was billed as if box was 90 pounds, actual weight 33 pounds. I was there and the bike was boxed so I went thru with it. I just asked my LBS for an empty bike box not realizing the diffrence the box size can make.

Any smaller box and both wheels would have had to come off but then I would not think a standard width bike box would be wide enough to out the wheels on the side? And maybe fork would have to be removed, any secrects I am not aware of?

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
The company I used to work for had an account with UPS. We were able to ship boxes, 20x20x36, weighing 62 lbs for 20 bucks. That works out to a little smaller than your box, cubic inch wise, so I dont know what the policy is for size, but it may be cheaper if you can find a friend with an account.

Matt

·
Registered
576 Posts
volume isn't what they care about.

"FedEx Ground packages can weigh up to 150 lbs each and up to 165 inches in length plus girth"

The box in question fits within these paramaters, or they would not take it. My guess is there is some similar magic size formula to determine if the box can be shipped at the lower rate. The easiest way to figure out how much it will cost is to use the online shipping calculator, if it seems high and you can change the dimensions of your box you can try to reduce dimensions and see how much that effects the price. I suspect the trick is to reduce the sum of the lenght+width+height.

·
Nothing here
757 Posts
I just sold a frame on ebay and charged $25 bucks for shipping, but got Burned on the deal cuz it turned out to be $54 at UPS! The package weighed 14 lbs. What I want to know is when did shippping rates go up so damn much? I guess I'm the idiot because I should have checked before putting that shipping figure down on the auction. Next time it's going USPS.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Chicodude01 said:

Well, it depends on who is doing the measuring? I've walked out of UPS with my box before because the lady said it was oversized (don't even think about using the UPS store, that itself is another ripoff). I tried to argue with her that they were specific boxes for bikes that fit their own criteria. She wouldn't buy it, but when I went back to another person I got the lower rate which was around $30.

The boxes are definitely on the verge of being oversized, but the listed dimensions on the box are just under.

-Derek

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.