Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here's the story. I sold a bike on e-bay and shipped it via ups. The person whom bought the bike from me claimed the box to be open when it arrived at their home, but yet they still signed for it. After removing the box they claimed that a pedal is missing and want me to file a claim with ups to get reimbursed for the pedal. This pedal was inside a box within the box with the other pedal. My question is do I deal with this or just forget about it. The pedals were one's I had lying around my house and were probably eight years old and of no real value to me. How can one pedal fall out of a box within the box, but the other one is still there? I'm not sure what to do about this matter any info would be good.Also the people who bought my bike got an amazing deal on the bike. Thanks

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Kinda weird if packed as you say, that one of two pedals came out of an interior box. Wouldn't it be easier to just offer an appropriate value for the pedal; that's probably all UPS will do with the claims process, and we're talking how many $ here for an old pair of pedals (obviously one is useless), vs. how much hassle with UPS? BTW you can sign for a package that's open by taking exception to the condition it's delivered in (a note along with your signature to that effect, often helpful when claims are made to determine the condition of the package as received). Next time try to pack so it's not possible for the package to come open at all.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. The buyer just responded saying she never actually signed for the package, that her signature was forged by someone else. I wrote her a e-mail stating that it's kind of fishy that someone forged her name, but open the box stole one pedal and nothing else. Or that even the pedal fell out while in the pedal box in the box, but nothing else. ?

·
TXAG
174 Posts
I would not worry about it. Since she says someone signed her name, it is now her problem. If the frame were gone that would be a different story, but just an old pedal? Come on. I really don't see this as being your problem since the package was signed for. Tell her you are sorry that you cannot help but it is not your fault that some mistery person signed her name and jacked one of the pedals for who in the world knows what reason.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
I can't see why someone would bother complaining about one pedal missing unless it was, or is there some advantage for the buyer on an ebay purchase in a case like this? Is that why the woman is advising someone else signed for it? I'm an ebay virgin, so I have to ask...

·
Registered
479 Posts
the package was secure when you sent it, or ups would have made you tape it up, right.
since you are apparently concerned about the situation(otherwise you wouldn't be here asking) go to the place where you sent the package and explain the situation. then let the buyer and ups know the "value" of the pedals(since you cant buy one) then the ups people will let you know who needs to fill out the insurance form through them. if you do it, then do it. if the buyer should do it, tell them. end of situation...

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Has buyer left feedback yet?

If they haven't, this could be a situation that comes back to haunt you. While I believe the buyer is probably lying, you may want to placate them by refunding $10.00 towards the pruchase of pedals. It might save your feedback rating.

Bob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.