Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may be moving across the country, what is the best way to transport my bikes?

Trust the moving company, or buy bike boxes from Thule, and ship them with a carrier?

Take in mind all three of my bikes are in the 3 to 4k range if I had to replace them.

·
Church of the Wheel
749 Posts
Go to your LBS and get some bike boxes, then pack the bikes yourself. Shops always have boxes when they build new frames, but they don't usually hang onto them long, so you might want to coordinate with your shop to find out when they will have boxes and ask them to set three aside for you.

Do NOT let movers touch anything except a correctly packed bike box. If you're not sure how to pack your bikes correctly, take the bikes to your LBS and have them do it. It'll probably cost a few bucks, but it's far cheaper and less emotionally painful than damage from an incorrectly packed bike.

·
dirtbag
1,532 Posts
When I moved from SD to the land of bier and brats I let the movers pack up my bikes. They built boxes, about the size of bike boxes, to box up my bikes. The bikes fit in the boxes wheels and pedals attached. All I had to do was loosen the stem bolts to turn the bars so they'd fit in the box. The movers built the boxes and I did the partial dis-assembly of the bikes and taped up the boxes. My bikes and my flat screen LCD TV were the only items I directly supervised when I moved.

Before my moving day the moving/shipping company came over to do a survey. I asked them how they would ship my bikes. I was OK with their answer and the end result. My bikes were ready to ride after just a a few adjustments.

Buying Thule bike boxes for three bikes would be pricey as would shipping with UPS/FedEx. Moving cross-country? Got a bike rack on the car? Take them with you, stop by trails on the way to the new place.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.