Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey bros,

I'm headed to Kauai for February and March, and want to ship my bike out ahead of me. It has to go ahead of time because I'm flying standby tickets.

So anyway, who's got some good advice on an affordable way to get it from Northern Cal to Lihue?

Mahalo & aloha 'aina

golddog

Attachments

·
slaving away in paradise
365 Posts
GoldDog said:
off-road. I'll be going up Powerlines for sure...
Probably not in Feb or Mar. It might get dry, but don't count on it. That place gets very
very very wet. The kind you can't ride in, just push push push. There are lots of other trails
to ride though. Talk to the guys at Kauai cycle, they do a lot of xc kind of stuff.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Bring it on the plane... no question...

Most airlines will ship a bike for between $50 and $80 each way. Trying to save 10 bucks by shipping it another way isn't worth it.

Get the airline to check your bags and bike "all the way though" to Lihue if you're transferring between carriers, that way you only have to pay the extra bike fee once.

Lastly, if you're super ghetto, take you bike apart at the pivot, get a big suitcase and a box for the wheels (keep both under 50 lbs) and fly for free. Airlines let you take two bags for free but the third bag will cost as much as a whole bike box so don't go over the limit. :thumbsup:

Oh, I just re-read that you're going standby -- so what, no luggage allowed at all? If that's the case you'll have to bite the bullet and pay one of the carriers above. Or, if you've got plenty of lead time DHX is the cheapest shipping you're going to find to Hawaii. http://www.dhx.com/

·
slaving away in paradise
365 Posts
^The man know of what he speaks, no one knows how to be more cheap er I mean ghetto...haha!

You could call one of the LBS' over here and see what a rental will cost too. Looks like you're
more into xc so I think Kauai cycle or bike doctor has some decent bikes. They might cut
you a deal for multiple days/weeks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.