Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I'm currently working/living in different spots (TN and DE) and I am trying to find an efficient way to transport my new Fuel Ex 9 back and fourth. I am in each place for 2 or 3 weeks so I would like be able to bring the bike with me somehow. I think bringing it on a plane would be a huge pain but I shipping it could be fairly easy....

How difficult is it to FedEx a bike? Do they make any sort of custom boxes that can accommodate a bike fairly easily?

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
9,984 Posts
Tough one. If it is going to be long term / permanent you might want to consider investing in a hard sided bike case (expensivish). If it is only for a few months I would just get bike boxes from your LBS plus a bunch of bubblewrap.

The other thing is shipping isnt going to be cheap. I would think at least $50 each way. Maybe invest in a second bike and have one at each location?

·
Registered
246 Posts
i just shipped my bike from ca to ga for about 70 bucks fedex ground. i packed it myself, in a used bike box from the lbs. no problems at all, just like shipping a regular package. i just have an entry level trek though, if i had a fuel ex9, i'd definitely get a bike specific case, especially if you're going to be shipping it quite a bit. or as the other guy said, just get another bike, it's a pretty good excuse if you have the coin.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Shipment cost is mainly determined by the size of the box and the amount of service you request. So:

- Dismantle the bike and fit it into the smallest box you can get. FedEx, UPS etc all offer shipment cost calculators on their website. Box length, height and width - all makes a difference. Play with the calculators.For a box see your LBS. Usually you get one for free.

- Pack the bike yourself and pre-pay and print your labels and shipment docs. Just drop the box off at a convinient FedEx/UPS etc station.

You must really love to dismantle and assemble bikes to do this often. Also, cost will add up fast. You might want to look for a second bike. Buy something inexpensive and different. Maybe a 29er SS. So you have something new and exciting in each location. If you don't have a cheap storage - ask the LBS if they would keep it for you.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Get a second bike. With the cost and hassle, it won't be long before having a second bike far outweighs the effort and cost you'll be going through. It's also not that bad of a value since two bikes will last twice as long as just one bike, esp. with the components. It just costs more up front.

Chris

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
A third option...

S&S couplers allow you to split your bike apart and break it down to a size that most airlines won't recognize as a bike box.

Probably not as practical buying a second bike, depending on how long you'll be traveling between the two locations.

If you're traveling between more than 2 locations, the S&S couplers would be a viable option.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Use the curb side check in at the airport! Slip the attendant $20 & you will most likely avoid the heavy airline fee's for bikes ($$$ if you check in inside). You will still need a box.. I have done this a few times.:thumbsup:

·
pants on head retarded
256 Posts
Another note on shipping is each time you run the risk of something getting damaged during shipment...

Your best bet would probably to get a cheaper/differenter bike for one of the locations. Figuring for 100 bucks to ship out and back, you add up to a new bike pretty quick. If you're insistent on shipping your Fuel, it might be a good idea to look into a bike shipping case (Thule makes one, Pelican may as well).

·
Registered
55 Posts
yurtinus said:
Another note on shipping is each time you run the risk of something getting damaged during shipment...

Your best bet would probably to get a cheaper/differenter bike for one of the locations... as well).
To expand on this idea, I think you should just buy a different bike at every new location.. I heard of a guy who used to do this..but with girlfriends not bikes..maybe you've heard of him..his name was Tiger..Woods..

·
Pretty in Pink
628 Posts
I think that it would certainly be more viable for you to pickup a 2nd bike, get a SS or a 29er something different, that way you wont be upset about not riding your fuel, instead you will be excited about the change. Leave the other bike at the location that you would ride less at, or even if its a SS the location that has rolling hills instead of massive climbs or what have you.

To ship your bike round trip its going to be over 100 dollars, 10 trips, and you have a decent backup bike, more trips than that and you have a really nice bike, so why not dump 1000 on a new bike, and save money in the long run?

·
Dirt Deviant
3,694 Posts
ThePinkBarron said:
I think that it would certainly be more viable for you to pickup a 2nd bike, get a SS or a 29er something different, that way you wont be upset about not riding your fuel, instead you will be excited about the change. Leave the other bike at the location that you would ride less at, or even if its a SS the location that has rolling hills instead of massive climbs or what have you.

To ship your bike round trip its going to be over 100 dollars, 10 trips, and you have a decent backup bike, more trips than that and you have a really nice bike, so why not dump 1000 on a new bike, and save money in the long run?
What she said.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Tough one for sure, I know guys that take apart bike to the point of removing the rear triangle and the fork so that it can fit in standard checked luggage, which is pretty cool but requires taking apart all the pivot bolts, and a ends up being a lot of work, and if you are doing it every three weeks could get very tedious. I would look for a used singlespeed to ride in DE, no mountains there anyway. Also, I have a buddy that is a field tech constantly going from CT to VA and he just drives that way he has all his stuff and his company reimburses his milage anyway.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
I dont think any one suggested it, but perhaps you should drive from Tennessee to Delaware. Depending on where exactly you are it could take you like 13 hours. Start in the morning and you will be there that night, and in the long run other than the time spent and maintenance of your car it will cost you less money than flying and you wont have to ship your bike. Not to mention you will have your car, and wont have to rent one if thats what you normally do.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.