Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
turtles make me hot
11,484 Posts
Just a word of warning, I sent a guy in Canada a set of rods and pistons in two boxes. 4 rods and 4 pistons in each box. One box got to him, the second one is in Canadian Customs for like five years. He won't pay me because he didn't receive everything and the postal service won't pay the insured value because they're not lost. They know where they are.
Will I ever send anything to Canada again? Nope.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That sucks! Sorry it happened. I have had good experiences in the past with things other than bikes, but I know each item is different going through customs. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Just a word of warning, I sent a guy in Canada a set of rods and pistons in two boxes. 4 rods and 4 pistons in each box. One box got to him, the second one is in Canadian Customs for like five years. He won't pay me because he didn't receive everything and the postal service won't pay the insured value because they're not lost. They know where they are.
Will I ever send anything to Canada again? Nope.
I think this is the exception to the rule, and next time I'd advise not shipping without full payment. Kinda seems like common sense.

I've never had a whole bike shipped up here, but I've had tons of other stuff sent without incident. Here's a link to some info regarding customs and duties etc. around bikes:

Importing Bikes and Parts to Canada ? Vancruisers.ca

As stated, if at all possible AVOID UPS at all costs. Their supposed "brokerage" fees are ridiculous.

·
turtles make me hot
11,484 Posts
I think this is the exception to the rule, and next time I'd advise not shipping without full payment. Kinda seems like common sense.

I've never had a whole bike shipped up here, but I've had tons of other stuff sent without incident. Here's a link to some info regarding customs and duties etc. around bikes:

Importing Bikes and Parts to Canada ? Vancruisers.ca

As stated, if at all possible AVOID UPS at all costs. Their supposed "brokerage" fees are ridiculous.
I understand this won't happen every time. I'm just making people aware that it CAN happen.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
(sorry I missed this thread when it first was posted)
The hold-for-ransom that UPS does with their "brokerage" fees will happen every time.
Now other shippers often try to do the same, but with somewhat lower extra fees.
Some vendors in the States are even registering with CRA so they can collect remit all actual taxes & fees up front, so the shipping companies no longer have an excuse to hold shipments ransom.

plus the danger of a "big box" fee added by the shipping company on the Canadian side...

Much better if you're near the border and can have something shipped to a UPS Store in the States near the border (shipped to the store by UPS, FedEx, USPS, etc.) and you drive down to the States and pick it up from the UPS store.

·
All fat, all the time.
9,004 Posts
I've not used this for shipping into Canada, but the last time I shipped my bike I used bikeflights.com and it was cheaper than bringing with me through the airport. They use Fedex, you prepay on the website, print out the shipping label & drop off.

·
Registered
14,379 Posts
I've rec'd used bikes and parts in Canada from the US many times. No problems.

The shipper pays nothing beyond shipping costs. You just declare what's in the box and the value. I would list the country of origin as the US despite the fact most bikes are made in Taiwan....just avoids one potential hassle.

Receiver pays GST + Prov sales tax on the declared value if there is one. If you use FEDEX or UPS there is often a ~$50 handling fee.

You list a low declared value on a used bike because there is no easy way to determine what a bike is really worth. The only downside is you can only insure to the declared value so if the bike is lost that's what you'd get back.

Last time I used FEDEX/UPS unless they packed the bike [which was expensive and I didn't trust them to do well] their insurance was only good for a total loss. Damage to the bike was not covered. So you have to weigh that in when looking at the merits of insurance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts