Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Girt by sea.
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just went through an exercise in frustration: I finalised a deal on a Ti HT frame with a bloke in the US after he had sorted out a price for shipping the frame to me. The Post Office told him it would cost about $64 to get the frame to Oz, so we did the deal on Paypal.

When he took the packaged frame in to send it off to me, they told him the price for the package was now $360.:eek: He put the money back into my Paypal account with a very apologetic note.

So, after all this rambling, I'll get to the point: Does anyone know a way to get the frame to me without being subject to extortion from USPS? Has anybody had a frame freighted to Oz from the US before at a reasonable price (time is inconsequential)? If so, who was the shipping/freight company?

Cheers,
Graeme

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Sometimes you can get frames through with USPS. A friend got a large size Cannondale hardtail (bought on ebay) air freighted for ~US$50. If you went surface mail it would be cheaper again.

Unfortunately when packed in a box they generally end up oversized, which means going with a courier. This typically costs around US$200 I believe. US$360 seems like too much though, I'm not sure how they came up with that number.

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
Some Guy is right... the main problem is the packaging... I had to ask a friend to remove the rear triangle from my 575 frame and repack it to fit the size restrictions at a decent price (for shipping to Germany). He probably used a huge box to pack it....

Have the seller check the girth of the package he used and the dimensions allowed on USPS, you can also use the postage calculator there to get an estimation on the cost according to the weight and size of the box..

·
Registered
603 Posts
crisillo is spot on.I had a complete bike sent to me by Fedex and i think there freight charge was about $350 us plus our charges.Get the guy to put it in the smallest box as possible.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Yup, look up the shipping volumes based upon proxy weights. Do not ship in a standard manufacturers bike box. You can pack a frame in a small wheeled bike box, but the frames are almost always too long for cheap shipping (unless you like a long long wait). I've had limited luck taking a bike box and hacking it up to exactly fit the frame and packing.

Better, yet mate get one of these. Or get a Ti frame from Thylacine Cycles;).

As crissie says.... get a a proper bike and get the rear unbolted... maybe this bike:D .

·
Gone riding
3,350 Posts
You could always get the frame modified with S&S couplers and send it in two boxes! :p

Joking aside, have you got any news on the shipping Graeme? And most importantly, you haven’t let us know what you’re looking at yet! ;) :D

Dave.

·
Girt by sea.
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No news on the shipping yet, but I'm about to refer him to this thread and another I found (funnily enough, by using the search function I should have used before posting ....:rolleyes:)

What am I getting? Just a Ti hardtail frame. Nothing special. ;)

Cheers,
Graeme

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.