Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

I was curious if anyone has shipped a bike in a hard shell case in the last month and what did you pay?

Or, did you fly with it on a major airplane, and what did they charge you for each leg.

The standard has been $100 per leg on airlines, im trying to find out if it has risen.

I personally get a discount and have not done it in over a year, but my cousin just had to pay UPS $600, WTF? It was to Seattle from Atlanta.

M

·
Registered
991 Posts
I'm flying out to Colorado Monday and it's gonna cost me $100 each way on continental. I didn't check shipping cause last time I checked it was WAYYY too expensive.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Each shipper (FedEx, UPS, etc.) has size restrictions. You need to visit their web istes or call them to determine if your hard case is considered "oversize" or not. Likely not, since most hardcases require the removal of both wheels from the frame.

Anyway, if the case IS oversize, be prepared to pay way over $100 to ship it anywhere. Could be as much as $150 or so.

Given price increases recently due to fuel costs, you need to call your selected shipper to get a better idea, as the cost seems to change almost daily.

·
Registered
340 Posts
A buddy visited this month and brought two bikes. He got everything but two wheels in one case and was charged $100 each way on America West (I think). He was still allowed a checked bag -- the two wheels in bags zip-tied together-- and carried-on/gate-checked his other stuff.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks,

I work for a Delta connection carrier and was just curious if those who are flying on normal tickets have seen a jump in price or restriction of the size. I wasnt called by my cousin to help him out, but the Delta people he spoke to told him they no longer accepted this size of case for baggage. This is not true, and he must have talked to some numbskull who was clueless.

Delta is still charging $100 each way like most.

I havent used the box in over a year, but we got a DHL overnight discount on anything under 70lbs shipped next day delivery, I paid $35 each time and maxed out my weight limit.

Its a typical trico box hard shell plastic.

M

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.