Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to Germany for an extended stay (used to live there) and will be taking my own bike and leaving it with a friend since I try to make it back every year. There's no way I am trying to lug that box to Lufthansa, so I have simply decided to let someone else take care of that part for me.

I guess I will let my local shop prepare the bike and box it. The bike is a nice, but well used Hoo Koo E Koo, so I hope I won't have to deal with any import restrictions they may have on new bikes.

MY MAIN QUESTION is...who should I use to ship it and what type of rate would you guess I will pay? I don't leave until the end of August, so I have a bit of time. Any experiences or suggestions will be welcome. Thank you.

P.S. I usually rent and I have determined that it's too unpredictable. I would just buy a bike there, but this is my #3 bike and it never gets ridden here. It's too nice not to use. Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi,

I´m from germany and I bought a single frame from the states. It was send with DHL I think. I paid over 100$ for shipping and 20 % extra taxes in germany. The taxes are taken from the worth of the frame you write outside the package. If you give a cost to something like frame or bike try with a small ammount of dollars.... Hope you understand my bad english.

Rico

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Danke Rico! Ihr English ist sehr gut. Mein Deutsche ist sehr schlechte. Wo in Deutscheland sind sie? Ich habe schon einmal in Giessen gewohnt, und ich bin kommen nach Giessen/Hessen fur ein urlaub.

Other responses are welcome as well. I would think the USPS would be the least expensive.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Luftansa will ship it as part of your luggage for free .

Its a bit of a hassle lugging a bike thru the airport but doable . my wife and i have done it many times with 2 bikes . Harry

·
Ami Schwein
304 Posts
id go with the shipping it as well. Ive traveled both routes once bringing my bike to Germany and once buying a new bike and having it shipped. The shipped bike came out looking alot better. The airlines box was thrashed and this after i had made modifications to the box (i drilled wooden planks into the box for added support). When you ship it you also have insurance on it which provides a little extra piece of mind. Ive never experienced it but im pretty certain arguing damages with the airline would be a b!tch. Ich wurde auch glaube ich DHL empfehlen. Auf jeden Fall viel Spass in Deutschland ich wohne auch in Hessen(Oberursel) und Giessen ist ja nicht so weit weg, vielleicht sehen wir uns irgendwann.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I ship bike parts and accessories all over the world everyday. I have yet to ship a complete bike because of the cost. A bike box is considered Oversize 2 by all shipping companies. Oversize2 is larger than what USPS will handle. That leaves FedEx, UPS or DHL. The rates I have seen from these carriers are $400 to $600 dollars depending on where in Europe you are shipping. This is because obviously there is no ground shipping to Europe so everything has to go by air where space is premium. This is usually cost prohibitive for all but the most expensive bicycles. The only other option that I have seen is using a freighter service which will put your bike on a truck, then a ship, then a truck. I have seen prices as low as $150 for this service, but the bad news is this takes anywhere from 6 weeks to 4 months.

You may be better off buying a used bike at your destination.

·
Ami Schwein
304 Posts
The bike shop i ordered mine from packed it into two boxes. One: frame, fork, handlebars, etc. The second had the wheels. I did ship it APO though which may make a difference. I think it did end up costing around $300.

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,726 Posts
Seriously...What Size Boxes Are You Using??

There are at least 3 'standard' bike box sizes. Some of them are under the 108" USPS limit. I ship USPS Airmail almost exclusively and it runs about $35-50 for a frame to Germany and like $100 for a heavy bike.

·
wannabee
1,134 Posts
I shipped a frame to Germany about two months ago. USPS. Took about three weeks for the guy to get it. Cost was about $90 USD. It had to go air mail. Too big for a ship. Go figure. GBB

·
Registered
140 Posts
Most bike boxes are Oversize 1 (larger than 108in Length + Girth, and smaller than 130in L+G). Some are over 130in L+G and fall into Oversize 2. USPS Global Express only goes up to a max of 108 L+G. The only way to ship a complete bike by air is to split it into 2 boxes, one for the frame and another for the wheels, but then you pay 2 shipping charges and run the risk of two boxes getting separated.

·
Registered
48 Posts
No way should you ship it. It will cost well over $100-- I was facing over $250 - 300 to ship a bike to Europe. I have flown it for free with it counting as checked luggage-- both boxed and in a Trico Iron case.

I even tried split a bike up into two boxes--- the postal laws were rather vague. It was no go. I don't know how people are only paying $35 - $90. Then again, I was looking to ship to Norway-- but I believe we are in the same shipping class as Germany.

BTW- if you grab a box to fly with it, I went to the LBS and they told me to dumpster dive in their recycling container. The bike arrived in as good shape as using the Trico case (which were used for the expensive bikes in a shipping container... but that is another story).

·
Registered
70 Posts
Personally I have travelled with a bike in a bike bag from the US to Ireland and found it to be no hassle at all as long as the bike is properly packed with sufficient padding. It costs nothing to take bikes across the Atlantic with most airlines. For the sake of asking your LBS for some foam tubing and a roll of cling film you could save yourslef anyhting from $100 up which would be better spent in your LBS on more shiny bits, if you suffer from upgradeitis...

·
1:18
526 Posts
Digging up an old thread - prices apparently changed a lot in the last few years.

Has anyone shipped a hardtail frame to Europe recently? What were the shipping costs?

I've checked a few sites (DHL, UPS, USPS, Fedex...) and the prices are sky-high. Starting at $400 and all the way to $1274. The cheapest option is apparently the usunlocked.com website.

Frame box is approx. 42 x 8 x 24 inch.

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,726 Posts
USPS has run me between $65-$100 for 6 frames I've sent to Europe in the past year.
Box size is key!
Your box is under the 108" limit. Priority Mail should run you under $75 for a 15lb package delivered in about a week.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Most bike boxes are around 90 linear inches. However, not all airlines will charge you for being oversize. Every airline is different. Some airlines are bike friendly, others are not. You can use this chart to find out which ones are and which ones are not.
Airline Bicycle Fees | AirlineBagFees.com

·
Sweep the leg!
3,803 Posts
I shipped a road frame to Germany a couple of months ago. USPS was by far the cheapest but they all had size restrictions. I had to make a custom box smaller than a standard bike box. Weight wasn't so much the issue.

Reactions: Corvette

·
526 Posts
Anyone remembers more specifically which option was selected with USPS?

In my case it's like this, $600+ with Global Express Guaranteed. And that's the only option to choose from. (dimensions 42 x 24 x 6, hardtail XL frame)

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,726 Posts
Ahhh, its the destination that's the problem.

79" length plus girth max is pretty much impossible to get a frame to fit.

Most of Europe falls into the 108" max in which case Priority Mail or even First Class would be options.

·
526 Posts
Dang, you're right, it's the destination...

Germany and Austria costs $53 - and the latter is neighbouring country! Who'd guess that 50 miles in total of 4300 miles are worth $550 :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts