Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone shipped a bike overseas for their vacation? I'm going to the Philippines for a month and was thinking of using Fedex to ship my bike to the PI instead of getting charged around $200 round trip by the airlines.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
How do you know freight/customs won't be $100 each way? Fedex rates will greatly depend on just how you have them do it (i.e. what time frame and extent of services are involved, what level of customer you are, etc...so not enough information to compare).

·
Registered
7,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know.... yet...

Bikinfoolferlife said:
How do you know freight/customs won't be $100 each way? Fedex rates will greatly depend on just how you have them do it (i.e. what time frame and extent of services are involved, what level of customer you are, etc...so not enough information to compare).
Which is why I'm taking my bike case to the local Fedex/Kinkos to find out how much it would cost for insured 5 day delivery and insured for around $3k. The case measures about 30X30X12 (it's a folding Slingshot). I'm thinking the total weight would be around 50lbs (including some gear packed)... I was wondering if anyone has done the same before and is willing to share experiences (good or bad) as well as any recommendations for and against... I've traveled internationally with the Slingshot before so I know that the airline (at least, Air New Zealand) was very good to the bike.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
I did for fun plug into the fedex online service guessing at a zip code for Boise, one for Makati in Metro Manila, and guessing at a bike package (a bit larger than yours in dimensions, tho and a bit less weight) and still came up with 579.00 one way 4-5 day service $1000 declared value...here in the SF area there is a large number of forwarders specializing in small packages going to the Philippines due to the large local population; might be an alternative to Fedex.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I've shipped a bunch of stuff to SE asia. It is not worth it unless you can get the size of the package below overssized (71inches length + girth or something like that). ANyway a bike is impossible to avoid oversized charges. It will cost you over 300 one way.
Break down the bike into a couple of large suitcases if it is a full squish bike otherwise dont bother,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.