Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am selling my vintage Slingshot on ebay--and someone from Belgium wants it--I ship things international all of the time--but I have never done a bike. Has anyone done it and how? i am thinking 2 boxes????

Eric

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
How far down are you going on the dis-assembly?

If you ship it like FedEX check the rates because it's expensive and you'll be charged per box. Might try registered and insured through the USPS.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you--I am well aware of fedex.com usps.com and ups.com

I am just want to know WHO has shipped a bike overseas what THEIR experience was.

Eric

·
Granny Gear Guru
399 Posts
I once had my lbs box my bike up for me, I shipped the bike to Canada. Including boxing I think it cost me $190. This of course isn't overseas but I have a feeling it would be cheaper to rent a boat and take it there yourself.

·
Never trust a fart
4,343 Posts
When shipping a bike there are 2 ways.

Boxed in a bike box shipped via FedEx or UPS (as mentioned above) or in a travel case and shipped via Air travel - a checked bag.

Both can be expensive. I have seen bikes shipped both ways damaged beyond repair. So neither is fool proof.

If shipping via FedEx, make sure the bike is boxed securely with plenty of packaging materials inside. Then take that box and put it in another box or two. This helps with protecting the bike from external damage.

·
Banned
1,435 Posts
We used to ship bikes international, typical charge to Europe was $800 - $1200 depending on value claimed with UPS. Tried USPS but their sizing requirements were reduced for overseas box sizes. Only could ship FS bikes with the frame broken down and shipped in several packages ($200)...... The bigger problem is though that 50% of the bikes never made it to their destination (UPS or USPS) and both compaines would not pay any insurance claim. Both claimed they were only responsible for the package to the US border and that I needed to contact the countries post system to file a claim, which in turn claimed they never received the package from the US. To sum up, you are crazy to ship anything of value overseas unless you can afford to just give it away.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Here's the thing with UPS and FedEX on shipping used product. IF they do damage or lose it, they may not pay the insured value and only pay the $100 bucks. I ship used computers all the time and that's what we get paid.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
A friend of mine shipped a full-suspension bike frame to Norway a few months ago.....she used a BMX box, removed the rear triangle. She used styrofoam around the dropouts and pipe foam around the frame and then wrapped it in bubble wrap. She used USPS international and only shipped the frame. The weight was 14 lbs and it was $146! The bike arrived at its destination un-damaged in a couple of weeks.

·
Super Moderator
20,802 Posts
I have shipped (have shipped to me actually :) ) 4 bikes/frames from the US to Germany, and haven't had any trouble using USPS. As mentioned above, FS frames were torn down and parts shipped separately to meet the dimensions required for shipping at a decent price.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts