Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been in need of a new "big bike" for a while now and have been waiting on some new products from a local company, but production delays kind of forced my hand to do something in the mean time so I decided to play guinea pig.

There has been a lot of talk about this frame on various message boards and it usually results in the typical "Its a catalog frame, so it must suck" but being involved in the industry, you get to learn that most everything takes a piece here and a piece there from a catalog somewhere.

So, after seeing the shear number of companies in Europe and the US rebranding this Astro frame, including Fezarri, Kraftstoff, UMF and most recently Price Points own Sette, I decided what the hell, for $850 I'll be a guinea pig, with some mods and decent components it looked like it could be a promising bike.

So after ordering the "Sette Vexx" from Pricepoint a couple weeks ago, it arrived on my doorstep 2 days later and was immediately torn apart and sent to the powder coaters to get a fresh coat of "metallic copper" paint. At the same time, it needed a name other than "Vexx" and since this frame is used by so many different companies I figured it was kinda like the mid 80's disaster of American engineering, the Pontiac Fiero. It never did anything well, you were lucky if it didn't catch on fire and to this day, people are turning them into things they were never meant to be. The name pretty much settled itself.

After going over the specs, everything looked decent as far as numbers go on the geometry with the exception of one glaring problem, the stock headtube angle of 66 degrees. What is this, 2004? I wanted to get the bike down into the 64 degree mark, so with a little research and hunting, I acquired a set of the Works Components offset reducer headset cups, which are usually used for SoCom's and Sundays, but after looking, I noticed the frame's headtube was within 5mm of the height of a SoCom, so it worked out perfectly, giving the bike a head angle of 64.3 degrees. Works for me.

After getting the bike back from paint last week, I spent Saturday building her up, with the exception of waiting on the CCDB which is going to be handling the suspension duties out back in place of the stock Vivid 4.1, it turned out pretty good.

Haven't gotten a ride on it yet (wont until the CCDB arrives) but in the parking lot test it feels pretty plush and balanced.

Specs:
•Sette Vexx DH (Astro ASDHK) Frame (Custom Paint and Decals)
•Rock Shox Vivid 4.1 (To be replaced with CCDB)
•2010 Rock Shox Boxxer Team
•Straitline Integrated Stem
•Works Components Offset Reducer Cups
•Custom Cane Creek 110 IS Headset (Took a little grinding to make it fit with the Works cups)
•Azonic Outlaw 12x150mm Wheelset
•Race Face Atlas FR Crankset W/ e13 36T
•MRP G2 Chainguide
•SRAM X.0 Rear Derailluer
•SRAM X.0 Rear Cassette (990/nugget gold)
•SRAM X.9 Shifter
•KMC X9SL Chain
•Avid Elixr R 203mm Brakes
•Spank Royala 710mm Bars
•Sunline V-One Pedals
•Thomson Seat Post
•WTB Devo Saddle
•Geax DHEA Tires 2.5f/2.3r

·
Registered
994 Posts
looks to be a promising rig, i have seen these frames alot, albeit not in person, but judging by the pictures the frame quality doesn't look half bad i have to say. didn't the gold outlaws used to come with gold spokes?

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
Couldn't even guess at the total build cost since I get a lot of "bro deals"

As for slacker and lower, I don't know why I would want slacker than 64.3 degrees and the BB is already at 14.4" with 220mm of rear travel, which is low enough for the rocky terrain here in AZ without burying your pedals all day long.

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
sixsixtysix said:
THAT is what is going to do funny things your Coil repAIR.:D
Making fun of the Coilrepair is like making fun of the special kid in the back of the bus.

Boxxer, MRP? You sellout.

G

·
Discussion Starter #11
KavuRider said:
Making fun of the Coilrepair is like making fun of the special kid in the back of the bus.

Boxxer, MRP? You sellout.

I'm pretty sure Steve-O was riding in the back of the bus yesterday...

G

·
Discussion Starter #16
Nick_M2R said:
That dosent look half bad for a cheapo bike, post up a ride report after you get some miles on her
I love how if you subtract the frame out of the equation, you're still sitting at nearly $4000 retail for the build kit (with the CCDB) and its still considered a "cheapo" bike. :p

·
PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
4,316 Posts
sixsixtysix said:
I love how if you subtract the frame out of the equation, you're still sitting at nearly $4000 retail for the build kit (with the CCDB) and its still considered a "cheapo" bike. :p
That's cuz the frame doesn't say Canfield:D

The colors look like something you would see on an 84 maxima or toyota supra.....in south town. Can't wait to see it in person.

G

·
Discussion Starter #18
azdog said:
That's cuz the frame doesn't say Canfield:D

The colors look like something you would see on an 84 maxima or toyota supra.....in south town. Can't wait to see it in person.

LoL, which means it should stay in one piece for longer than 6 months :p

Yeah, its straight outta South PHX as far as colors go. I just need to tie different color bandana's to it when I am rolling to and from the mountain and I'll fit right in.:D

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
sixsixtysix said:
Yeah, its straight outta South PHX as far as colors go. I just need to tie different color bandana's to it when I am rolling to and from the mountain and I'll fit right in.:D
Only if you have stray dogs and children follow you down the trail.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts