Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
definitely RIP!
seemed like a long tortured soul... definitely a kindred one when I was a teen.

time to spin up some vinyl in remembrance. :rockon:

·
Registered
122 Posts
The first rain we've had in months, marks the loss of one of my best riding companions. And on my birthday too.

Syd will continue to live on, better than most could dream, enjoyed and appreciated as a true original.

Farewell, Syd, wherever you are.

Attachments

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
Yeah man...

Syd's influence is impressive, while his input has been limited over the last 40 years (!), his impetus was legendary.

Not to hijack - but have any of you guys ever tried the Dark Side of the Moon/Wizard of Oz thing? Pretty weird stuff.

John

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
Don't knock it until you try it

I know to the non-open minded folks the synchronicity between DSOM and Wizard of Oz seems like hooey. Try it out and see for yourself. To my mind, eyes and ears its for real. It has to have been planned.

Check it out, let me know what you think. My kids rolled their eyes when I told them about it, they're believers now too.

John

·
Registered
236 Posts
I wonder who figured the synchronicity out in the first place? Drugs or some serious spare time had to be involved.

·
Yummy
1,262 Posts
Good lord ...

Okay, here's an exercise ...

1) Pick ANY recorded album.

2) Pick ANY movie.

3) Start both at the same time.

4) Record any and all moments of "synchronicity", however brief. There will be several, so use your imagination!

5) Ignore any and all sections of "non-synchronicity" as we're trying to make results fit our assumptions.

Have I time travelled? I thought the dark ages were over with several centuries ago. What's next, witch burning?

Kn.

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
Have you watched it?

K'Endo said:
Good lord ...

Kn.
I was with you, until I watched it. I guess it could be coincidence, but dang. To be fair, I haven't tried it with any other movie/DVD combination. Maybe its more commonplace than I think.

John

·
Registered
236 Posts
but still...
someone had to be tripping and go "heyy i wonder whats gonna happen if i play floyd and wizard at the same time"
and any combination? somehow i can't see, say, britney spears and resovoir dogs.

·
Registered
92 Posts
radair said:
He left the band in 1968 - now I know why I never heard of him. Now I also know the inspiration for Wish You Were Here and other references from Dark Side.

I wonder if "The Piper at the Gates of Dawn" is still available?

<edit> yes, yes it is: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000002UA0/102-1140709-1434514?v=glance&n=5174

RIP, Syd
If you haven't listened to the pre-Dark Side stuff, I think you're missing out on their best stuff. Syd's iinfluence is still there up until Dark Side, and somewhat less so with WYWH and Animals. I just can't bring myself to listen to the Wall or anything after that. Roger and David dominated Floyd(esp Roger) is damn near intolerable to me.

But then again, I was introduced while dosed...

He will truly be missed

·
Registered
13 Posts
He finally found the peace he was looking for all along. Of course there will never be another, and one cannot help but think what more he would have given us had his initial breakdown held off for a few more years. For those just now learning the connection of Syd and Floyd, to be fair, when the papers say he left the band in 1968, it's not exactly like that. For months, Pink Floyd had been performing with David Gilmore on guitars, as Syd would most often randomly roam the stage and occasionally play some bits of songs. David was a schoolmate and friend of Syd's, and eventually the band decided to just stop picking up Syd on the way to concerts. The still loved him, and even continued sending him royalties, as well as had set him up with a recording studio where he could make all the music his troubled mind needed to force out, no matter how misunderstood or onfused it may have been.

As for those who feel that Syd's influence was absent in Floyd from The Wall and other albums, you are quite wrong, as Syd was hugely in Roger Waters' mind while writing, and many references fill the albums to Syd, especially in "Wish You Were Here", a stated tribute, that even got Syd out of a seven year seclusion to show up unannounced and unrecognized the very day they recorded "Shine on You Crazy Diamond", and the band's semi autobigraphical album, "The Wall". Yes, "The Wall" is mostly about Waters, and his childhood and experiences, but those included Syd quite a bit, especially in the formation and growth of the band. Need proof, watch the movie carefully.

If you know it, and you have it, play it and ride, if you don't know it, or don't have it, get it, play it, and ride... and that's any and all Floyd btw...

·
Registered
606 Posts
I was aware of Syd, and really appreciated his influence on Floyd long before I really started to pick up on Roger & Dave's own contribution to the band's work. I was never that big of a fan of "The Wall", but I came around to with "Division Bell".

The lyrics "I have become, comfortably numb" has always had a special place with me, and I've often seen the parallels with Syd in that song.....

RIP Syd

·
2,093 Posts
The lunatic...

huh what, syncronicity. I want this shirt he's wearing for my weekend rides.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts