Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
While you are there picking up the things that are supposed to save you in the event of a crash you can pick up some lipstick and some eggs. Dude, get out of walmart and into a bike shop. Walmart sells garbage, at low prices.

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
Lol!

The Rose said:
While you are there picking up the things that are supposed to save you in the event of a crash you can pick up some lipstick and some eggs. Dude, get out of walmart and into a bike shop. Walmart sells garbage, at low prices.
Best line of the day award, thanks, I enjoyed the post.

Jim :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
My elbow and wrist pads cost about $6 dollars from a department store and they work. Actually, the elbow pads are knee pads, but I wear them on my elbows. I puchased a helmet for $8 at walmart - I got hit by a car and that helmet saved my skull - it worked great, so I got another one. Unfortunately, it looks stupid. As long as they're "certified" they work. I wouldn't skimp on a full face though - mine is a real one, as are my knee/shin pads. Some items don't have to cost a lot to yield sufficient performance, some do.

·
Registered
31 Posts
ebay!

Hey there are always good deals to be had on ebay. I know you have to wait for it, but I think its well worth it if you want to go cheap and still get quality. I got some super cheap Fox knee/shin pads new that are great.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Are they worth it?

I need to get some. I really dont want to break the bank either I have spent enough my bike this month. Should i?/

·
Registered
317 Posts
Walmart can have a few things that you can start off with and then work up when you can. They do have Slime, for starters. I got my helmet there.. some Ironman one that was a little more solid than the Bells they have. It's pretty good for $13, but it's not as well-ventilated as some of the pricier ones. One of my LBSs has a Giro for $38 that I'll probably snap up. Just trying it on I can feel how much cooler my head is.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i know walmart sucks...

i have two problems - 1. all the lbs's with in 50miles dont carry more than 1 brand and one size (usually medium)

2.my calfs are larger than most and while the lbs's in my area would order me what ever i want it wont help if i order some pads that wont even strap up.

anyway thats why i was asking about walmart- cause it was late and all shops were closed and i wanted some protection for the next day as i was riding early..

i have researched it and have come to 2 choices - roach fr or fox....

are the straps long?

·
ravingbikefiend
2,322 Posts
I use soccer shin pads...they're light, tough, and cost me 12.00.

·
Registered
317 Posts
If you have a used sports equipment store like Play it Again Sports, you might find something useable. Soccer shin guards like Sixty Fiver mentioned are one possibility. You might also see if they have any baseball catcher leg guards. They usually cover shins, knees, and have stuff to go over the feet. You can cut off the parts you don't want. I've gone there looking for stuff like that sometimes for stuff to use in costumes. I picked up a set of those leg guards for about $9 for making a Predator costume. Sometimes sports stores will also have ones for field hockey. I don't know if there'd be anything comparable for paintball.

When it comes to protection, you obviously don't want to shortchange yourself. In the battle of cost vs. quality, there are times to let quality win and times where cost just gets so overblown its ridiculous. Take shades. I just picked up a pair of yellow-lensed safety glasses at Lowe's for $9 that look about the same as a set they had at my LBS for $60. Since they're making safety glasses more "fashionable" now, you can find ones that don't look like you swiped them from a science lab or construction site. I've found both types fog just about the same, so a little anti-fog stuff like Cat Cr-p will do the trick.

·
_
850 Posts
I suppose in a situation where you NEEDED the pads for the next day, the walmart ones could suffice but I wouldnt make a habit out of wearing them all the time. Remember the ones that cost more are made by mt. bike companies specifically for mt. bikers. Would you rather pay the $60 for a set of Roach or Fox leg pads that fit properly and offer great protection or the hundreds of dollar hospital bill because you chinsed out and pushed your luck with the walmart soccer shinpads?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.