Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like my new Leatt dual-axis knee/shin guards, but even size XL only covers the top half of my shins. [I'm 6' 4" and my height is mostly in my legs, so yeah, I'm a freak that way.] It's only a matter of time before I rake my lower shins on the pedals (or worse).

What are my options? I need to protect 8-10 inches between my ankle/instep and mid-shin.

Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is a good start - Thanks, Nat! A tall pair of socks could also hold a traditional shin guard, I suppose. A size-Small might just fill the void (if it'll stay in place). I'll have to visit the LBS with my Leatts and try some out.

I'd like to find something similar. Right now I just wear tall black socks so the blood doesn't show as bad.
Unfortunately, black socks can't hide my sobbing. :-D

Thanks, guys!

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
I tell em it's allergies.

I do have a pair of TLD Speed Sleeve knee guards which I'll often leave around my shins instead of pulling them up over the knees. They work pretty well as shin guards, but yeah, a would love to find a moderately lightweight combo knee shin guard of some sort.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, my fears are coming alive. Last week, while riding downhill at Northstar, I took a rock in the exposed part of my shin and then, an hour later, went OTB and came down on a boulder with the exposed part of my forearm. Nearly broke it - no joke.

This seems stupid, considering I'm wearing full body armor. Okay, to be fair, my shoulder and rib guards did their jobs nicely when I rolled, but still, I really want longer shin and forearm guards - now more than ever.

Sorry for the whining. Pain makes me irritable.

Thanks, everyone, for all the good suggestions so far.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I use Shadow shin pads for BMX under my Dainese knee pads. They are thin and even XL is tight on me at 5'11 (though that also means the knee pads can go over them). BUT, they've saved me many times from cuts and nasty bruises -- were well worth the $35. I doubt they'd do for DH though.

I'm going to give soccer shin pads a go, which are hard plastic. Another thread recommended the Nike ones...

·
Registered
3 Posts
My shins and calves were getting bloody and scared from pedal strikes.

I've been using neoprene calf sleeves along with soccer shin guards for about 3 years and no more issue.

The neoprene eliminated the calves from catching the pedal spikes and the shin guards for heavier front strikes and ankle hits from whatever on the trails. The shin guards have a hard cup on the outside to protect the ankle. Sure makes riding a lot more enjoyable.

·
Registered
698 Posts
My shins and calves were getting bloody and scared from pedal strikes.

I've been using neoprene calf sleeves along with soccer shin guards for about 3 years and no more issue.

The neoprene eliminated the calves from catching the pedal spikes and the shin guards for heavier front strikes and ankle hits from whatever on the trails. The shin guards have a hard cup on the outside to protect the ankle. Sure makes riding a lot more enjoyable.
My shins and calves look all beaten up with bruises and cuts. Me thinks I'm gonna have to dig out my old soccer shin guards too. I have similar ones with an ankle guard. It's gonna get hot riding in summer. lol

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just got the Ion K-Pact Zip with shin extenders and am pretty stoked on the combo. Easy to get on at the top of a long pedal, but also feel plenty comfortable putting them on and pedaling up as well. Feels like protection/coverage should be sufficient.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.