Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone seem shims to run Tioga 28.6 bars on a 31.8 stem? I'm obsessive-compulsive about my Tioga bars, but the longest Tioga 286 stem is 70mm and I hate the Azonic 286 stems. I need a 80-90mm stem for a new bike build.

I thought saw some somewhere but now I can't find them.

·
Registered
758 Posts
any dealer

FISHLEG said:
Anyone seem shims to run Tioga 28.6 bars on a 31.8 stem? I'm obsessive-compulsive about my Tioga bars, but the longest Tioga 286 stem is 70mm and I hate the Azonic 286 stems. I need a 80-90mm stem for a new bike build.

that sells marz dual crown forks probably have the shims that come with them the cust, didnt want.

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
Made some, bought some.

FISHLEG said:

QBP has them in their catalog that most bike shops have access to. They're relatively cheap and well made. Before I knew they made these, I made a set out of a piece of leftover aluminum fork steerer. I save all the pieces of cut-down steerer tubes, and they are handy for all kinds of fabrication. All the ones I've seen are just basically two halves of aluminum that wrap around the smaller bar and go inside the bigger stem opening. If the bar is of good quality, I don't see a structural integrity problem with this setup.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
FISHLEG said:

I heard most of the shims end up creeking really bad.

BTW, I ended up picking up KORE stem for a buck (10$ s&h :rolleyes: ) to go with Hellbent.

·
New project, TBA shortly
1,024 Posts
28.6? most of the shims out there are to run 25.4 bars, you're going to have some trouble fitting 28.6 stuff unless you get it from Tioga directly or possibly through QBP. think that the marz shims are for 25.4 bars.

sure you're attached to those Tioga bars? ;)

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dante said:
28.6? most of the shims out there are to run 25.4 bars, you're going to have some trouble fitting 28.6 stuff unless you get it from Tioga directly or possibly through QBP. think that the marz shims are for 25.4 bars.

sure you're attached to those Tioga bars? ;)
Attached? More like we're involved in a relationship. :D

I have them on 3 of my bikes, and have 2 brand new spares. I love these bars.

I know 28.6 is an odd size. I actually found that Pazzaz makes the shims I need, but no one seems to carry them, or even carry Pazzaz stuff at all. Anyone know of a place that carries their stuff?

If not I'll have to check out the QBP thing, but LBS's in my area suck ass big time.

Someone hook me up damnit!!!

·
New project, TBA shortly
1,024 Posts
Lucky13 said:
They are sick. I wish previous owner didn't cut them.
what do you like about them? bend? upsweep? stiffness? never had a handlebar that I couldn't do without. of course I have preferences on bend and upsweep, but other than that it's a) as stiff as possible and b) light as possible and c) strong enough. Pretty much anything in the 8-9deg bend and 3-4deg upsweep and I'm set.

or rather, what *don't* you like about other handlebars?

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
dante said:
what do you like about them? bend? upsweep? stiffness? never had a handlebar that I couldn't do without. of course I have preferences on bend and upsweep, but other than that it's a) as stiff as possible and b) light as possible and c) strong enough. Pretty much anything in the 8-9deg bend and 3-4deg upsweep and I'm set.

or rather, what *don't* you like about other handlebars?
All of the above. Hard to pinpoint. These bars have a 6deg sweep and the rise and bend seems perfect. I just like the way they feel. I just like odd crap I guess.

And no-go on the QBP so far. They do list the shims, but not for 286 like I need. It's always for 25.4 or 26.0 Italy bars.

Still trying to find someone who can order me the Pazzaz ones.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.