Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am rebuilding my old 29er with a new chinese carbon frame. The new frame does not have a direct mount plate built in. I'd like to reuse my 3x10 drivetrain to keep the cost down, so I will need to use a clamp on deraileur.

I have a perfectly good front deraileur, but it is for a 34.9mm tube and the new frame is a 31.8 tube. Would I be able to use a product like this to shim the difference?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PGHMP5...olid=33NK3F5SS35XJ&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Or should I buy a new deraileur with the correct size clamp? Since the new bike is carbon, I expect that it is more sensitive to point loading, so would shims be an issue in that regard?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I would assume the shim is wider than the clamp of the FD, so the load is spread out even more.

Obviously, if that shim is narrower, it would increase pressure and could be a problem.

Note that shim you linkes is for handlebars, so it may not be correct for the seat tube.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.