Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Which way? Uphill.
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the other night I was replacing a 10-spd chain on my road bike and noticed that Shimano isn't using the sticky waxy coating anymore, it's an oil.

Anyone know what they're using now?

Is this just a 10-spd chain thing or are the 9's coming that way too now? The 9-speeds I have are from when I stocked up last year so they all have the sticky coating.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
liquidsuspension said:
Is it a good idea to clean/lube a new chain? Or is this coating sufficient until the 1st cleaning is needed?
Yes it is. If your chain comes with the old sticky preservative it attracts dirt and grit like mad, not a good property for a chain lube. You'd likely need to clean it and relube after the first ride anyway. The newer stuff is meant to be easier to clean off, yet still protect the chain from corrosion for long periods of time. It is quite thin and in most cases will actually splatter off the chain onto the stays etc. when shifting. It is also a very "wet" lube and attracts dirt and grit readily as well, just not as bad as the old stuff. But still not a very good lube, too thin and usually WAY too much of it.

So a good cleaning and lubrication with your favorite chain lube is a good idea before you install a new chain.

Good Dirt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.