Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Rider and Wrench
1,478 Posts
AK47 said:
Anyone know where I can get my hands on one of these 29er specific cassettes Shimano makes?: http://www.bikemagic.com/news/article/mps/uan/6823
Your Link is the first I have seen it- though I have imagined it would be comming sooner or later, it is ashame it will only work with the Shadow RD's- I wonder if the other guys will figure out a way to make their RD's handle 36 teeth?

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
knottshore said:
Your Link is the first I have seen it- though I have imagined it would be comming sooner or later, it is ashame it will only work with the Shadow RD's- I wonder if the other guys will figure out a way to make their RD's handle 36 teeth?
I would not be so quick to assume it will not work with other rear derailleurs. Shimano is sometimes conservative when they state what does and does not work.

·
Registered
643 Posts
interesting that they found it necessary to remake their freehub to handle the added torque of a 36t sprocket (vs a 34/32).

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
topmounter said:
The new SRAM XX group has a 36 tooth cassette listed, but no mention of any special hubs.
XX is for use with a much lager small chainring (26x36 combo vs 22x36), which means not as much FH force.

Shimano is strengthening the FH because of Euro regulations.

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
shapelike said:
1.8, based on my run through Sheldon's calculator. 5.6% difference:

Code:
For 700 X 56 / 56-622 / 29 inch tire with 175 mm cranks
With Custom Sizes Cassette
	36	5.9 %	34
32	32.8		31.0
1.5 in the 32 ring. You entered the cassette ratios in as chainrings. It is 1 gear inch in the 22t granny.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Schmucker said:
1.5 in the 32 ring. You entered the cassette ratios in as chainrings. It is 1 gear inch in the 22t granny.
The net change in the lowest gear is what is the most relevant to those interested in the 12-36 cassette.

PS I'm not trying to be combative.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
shapelike said:
1.8, based on my run through Sheldon's calculator. 5.6% difference:

Code:
For 700 X 56 / 56-622 / 29 inch tire with 175 mm cranks
With Custom Sizes Cassette
	36	5.9 %	34
32	32.8		31.0
1 gear inch. They be no new found climbing prowess with the 12-36 cassette.

·
Bicyclochondriac.
14,934 Posts
GeoKrpan said:
1 gear inch. They be no new found climbing prowess with the 12-36 cassette.
I think the really relevant number here is the % difference in gearing. The drop in gearing going from 34t and 36t cog is about 6%. That is less than half of a typical drop between gears on a 11-34 cassette. It would be like going from a 17t to an 18t cog.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
kapusta said:
I think the really relevant number here is the % difference in gearing. The drop in gearing going from 34t and 36t cog is about 6%. That is less than half of a typical drop between gears on a 11-34 cassette. It would be like going from a 17t to an 18t cog.
Obfuscation and double talk. The bald fact is that it's one lousy gear inch.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I last asked Shimano about a month ago & they said "July". I intend to ask again after the Fourth. A 36t has a larger diameter, hence a longer moment arm and increased leverage, resulting in greater torque on the FH.

·
Bicyclochondriac.
14,934 Posts
GeoKrpan said:
Obfuscation and double talk. The bald fact is that it's one lousy gear inch.
Actually, the way I describe it is far more relevant, as it applied to whatever crank arm length, chairing size, or wheel size you use.

It essentially backs up you contention that it is not offer that much lower of a gearing than a 34t cog.

But whatever, if it confuses you, forget about it.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
kapusta said:
Actually, the way I describe it is far more relevant, as it applied to whatever crank arm length, chairing size, or wheel size you use.

It essentially backs up you contention that it is not offer that much lower of a gearing than a 34t cog.

But whatever, if it confuses you, forget about it.
Double talk IS confusing.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts