Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm a MTB beginner and have a question:

Is there any difference in mud shedding ability between the Shimano XTR PD-M970 and PD-M520 pedals?

I am currently using the PD-M520 pedals, and had tons of problems with clogged up mud in the pedals (and cleats) during wet rides, to the point that I was clipped in on only 1 pedal in significant durations of those rides. And that was after taking a long long time clipping into 1 pedal first. :rolleyes:

I'm considering a change of pedals, and was wondering if the new 2007 XTR PD-M970 pedals would perform better in this area than my current pedals. From what I see, the shape and design of the PD-M970 and PD-M520 pedals look almost exactly the same, so I'm not too sure if the XTR pedals would do any better for mud shedding.

I am also considering the Crank Brothers Eggbeaters SL, but the reviews here seem to indicate it's got its fair share of problems in other areas, like engagement.

Any advice and help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
theychosenone said:
Hi all, I'm a MTB beginner and have a question:

Is there any difference in mud shedding ability between the Shimano XTR PD-M970 and PD-M520 pedals?

I am currently using the PD-M520 pedals, and had tons of problems with clogged up mud in the pedals (and cleats) during wet rides, to the point that I was clipped in on only 1 pedal in significant durations of those rides. And that was after taking a long long time clipping into 1 pedal first. :rolleyes:

I'm considering a change of pedals, and was wondering if the new 2007 XTR PD-M970 pedals would perform better in this area than my current pedals. From what I see, the shape and design of the PD-M970 and PD-M520 pedals look almost exactly the same, so I'm not too sure if the XTR pedals would do any better for mud shedding.

I am also considering the Crank Brothers Eggbeaters SL, but the reviews here seem to indicate it's got its fair share of problems in other areas, like engagement.

Any advice and help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
I have both and they are about the same. Try spraying your pedals and cleats with Pam (or WD40) so mud doesn't stick to it as easily. I find that even if my pedals are full of mud but my cleats are clean, I can click-in pretty easily. However, if my cleats are clogged with mud, I have to work at getting into my pedals...

·
w3rd.
315 Posts
flipnidaho said:
I have both and they are about the same. Try spraying your pedals and cleats with Pam (or WD40) so mud doesn't stick to it as easily. I find that even if my pedals are full of mud but my cleats are clean, I can click-in pretty easily. However, if my cleats are clogged with mud, I have to work at getting into my pedals...
According to Shimano, the new XTR pedals are lighter, which means they lost material, which also means there is more room to shed mud :thumbsup:

·
Green Mojo
216 Posts
XTR Pedals - Real weight reduction?

I have seen differing opinions on the "weight savings" of the new XTR pedals. In some places I am reading a claimed weight savings of up to 40 g for a pair of XTR's. Some people are stating actual savings is more in line with <10 g for the pair.

Does anyone have actual and real data?

Thanks.

·
Registered
97 Posts
The retention springs in the XTR pedals are wound tighter and are smaller in diameter than the 520's. The claim is that this allows for better mud clearance.

While Shimano pedals are awesome the very best pedals for mud clearance imho are the Time A.T.A.C's.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.