Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm switching from a very stiff Specialized XC shoe with XTR M980 pedals to Shimano AM45 SPD shoe and wondering which one of these pedals people would recommend with this new shoe based on your own experience:

XTR M985 Trail
Or
XT M785 Trail

thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
I ride with the M530 and I really like them, just got a second pair for my other bike. In my opinion the 50grm or 0.1lb difference is not worth $90. I also like that I can beat my pedals up and not even think about it. Just throwing out another option.

M530 455grms for 37.46
M785 408grms for 80
M985 398grms for 130

PS: All pricing based off Amazon

·
Chris Bling
2,585 Posts
If you do the math $90/10grams, it will give you $9/gram. I would say thats pretty steep :) Performance wise, you wont be able to tell a difference. But that little bit of gold bling on the XTR's is sexy...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So it just comes down to the weight between these two then, is the M785 not a little wider? It looks to be from the pic's or is this not really felt when riding?

I'm looking for something that's going to feel supportive under the softer soled AM45, I don't mind spending the cash for good pedals. Weight matters in so far as I don't want something crazy heavy but performance and durability comes first.

·
Registered
775 Posts
They're pretty much identical in shape, the exception being the XTR is slightly lower (under a mm I believe). However if you search in the Drivetrain or Shimano forums, you'll see there's a history of 985 pedal axle failures (myself included, 2 sets). Most think that the 785s are more bomber and reliable.

·
Registered
398 Posts
They're pretty much identical in shape, the exception being the XTR is slightly lower (under a mm I believe). However if you search in the Drivetrain or Shimano forums, you'll see there's a history of 985 pedal axle failures (myself included, 2 sets). Most think that the 785s are more bomber and reliable.

Same here; two sets of XTR's failed. I've been riding the same set of XT's for nearly two years and they're faultless. No difference in performance.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Same here; two sets of XTR's failed. I've been riding the same set of XT's for nearly two years and they're faultless. No difference in performance.
Ditto on the 2 plus years on XT's and they work perfect still.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I've got both and can't tell the difference. The XTRs do shed ice/snow/mud well with the Teflon coating where the XTs do fill up sometimes and require a few hard kicks to knock the junk out of them.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the info guys. My AM45's arrived today and it turns out that the sole of these shoes is a lot stiffer than I was expecting and they feel fine with the XTR M980's I already have on the bike so I'm going to stick with those for now.
Thanks again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts