Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

161 - 171 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
I just called and was told I’ll receive something in maybe May. Haha... May. After I warrantied in November. Well, I guess I “may” start looking to replace the drivetrain before the summer. Wow... what an utter joke. No admittance of the problem, no responsibility to their customers beyond just simply waiting for something that “may” just break again. New drivetrain it is. This is gonna cost me way more that I wanted to. Pretty steamed about this.

Any suggestions on new drivetrains? I guess I’ll have to take it to another forum. Ho Hum......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Here's a suggestion: purchase a cheap but very functional SLX 12-speed shifter. I haven't heard of this model failing. I think their internals are different. They don't have all the extra features of XT and XTR but they work really well and completely interface with the remainder of your drivetrain. When you finally get the warranty replacement for your broken shift lever, keep the SLX as a spare just in case you have another failure. I did this with an XT shifter backing up my two bikes with XTR. But SLX is likely to be more reliable long term than XT, especially if you only need to put it on your machine once and a while. Yes, this whole thing is a frustrating load of BS, but I've stuck with the new Shimano system because when it's working it's, in my opinion, the best functioning mechanical MTB group out there.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Here's a suggestion: purchase a cheap but very functional SLX 12-speed shifter. I haven't heard of this model failing. I think their internals are different. They don't have all the extra features of XT and XTR but they work really well and completely interface with the remainder of your drivetrain. When you finally get the warranty replacement for your broken shift lever, keep the SLX as a spare just in case you have another failure. I did this with an XT shifter backing up my two bikes with XTR. But SLX is likely to be more reliable long term than XT, especially if you only need to put it on your machine once and a while. Yes, this whole thing is a frustrating load of BS, but I've stuck with the new Shimano system because when it's working it's, in my opinion, the best functioning mechanical MTB group out there.
Yeah, I haven’t seen any SLX on here yet. Haven’t taken ones apart, but it’s worth a try. I’m going to look in SRAM shifter as a backup option. I know other parts have inter-compatibility issues like the chain and cogs. I’d love to keep as much of my drivetrain in tact as possible at this point.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I was going to suggest the same thing. No sense in in replacing the whole drivetrain, just swap out the shifter.
Yeah, I was going to look into compatible parts. Wasn't sure if a straight SRAM swap works or not. Assuming a GX would work then using a problem solver lever adapter.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Do you guys think the XT/XTR shifters are breaking because of the doubleshift feature?

bikercr since you have replaced so many of these so far how are you about using the doubleshift feature? Do you always use it, sometimes, never? Maybe you can try not using this feature for the life of the current shifter you have and seeing if that changes anything.

I haven't had any failures myself (its winter here in NH not much riding), but to me the obvious difference between 12sp SLX and XT shifters is the doubleshifting option the XT/XTR have.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #166
Do you guys think the XT/XTR shifters are breaking because of the doubleshift feature?

bikercr since you have replaced so many of these so far how are you about using the doubleshift feature? Do you always use it, sometimes, never? Maybe you can try not using this feature for the life of the current shifter you have and seeing if that changes anything.

I haven't had any failures myself (its winter here in NH not much riding), but to me the obvious difference between 12sp SLX and XT shifters is the doubleshifting option the XT/XTR have.
The double-shift feature only engages the upshift wheel (to harder gears). The rocker return spring that breaks in the XTR/XT levers is a part of the downshift mechanism and isn't affected in any way by upshifting. So that's not the issue. Yes, SLX has only single-gear upshifting. I haven't taken one apart so I don't know how different the downshifting mechanism is compared to XTR/XT. By inference only, if we've never had a complaint about SLX 12-speed shift levers failing to downshift, suddenly and permanently, it's fair to assume there's something critically different about the SLX design or manufacture.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I wonder if my problem which is different from the lever breaking shifting into easier gears but the same bad springs? My problem is the shifter for harder gears. Letter code on the shifter case is (YM / SF) I have the Shimano XT 8100.

Starting today after having my bike for a month, I can only get one click when shifting into a harder gear. If I press hard enough, I can get another click, but then I lose all tension in the shifter. It then requires me to shift to an easier gear using the other shifter to reset the opposite shifter. If I only click to a harder gear once, the shifter never loses tension and functions as it should, retaining tension every time. Is this just a broken spring and requires warranty?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #168
It may not be inside the shift lever. Be sure to check your cable/housing. I would pull the cable out from the shifter, feeling for any resistance within the housing. If the cable and housing are fine, then it's likely inside the shift lever. The 12 speed levers are usually unrepairable, but Shimano is excellent about warranty: 2 years for XT stuff.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Last weekend my XTR 1x12 shifter stopped working, same problem, no downshifting. Removed cover, spring broken.

Code: it RJ - 1000km - failed

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
Last weekend my XTR 1x12 shifter stopped working, same problem, no downshifting. Removed cover, spring broken.

Code: it RJ - 1000km - failed
Your broken lever was manufactured in October, 2019. Hope you can get a warranty replacement quickly. If you can, try to get a lever made in late 2020 (or newer). The first letter will be S (2020) or T (2021). Earlier letters are not reliable and the new one may not be either. But better chance that the most recently made are redesigned in a way that eliminated the defect. Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Good luck, man! Tell them your situation, that you race, and that there's a time-factor involved.
I actually have a pal that works at shimano in Southern Ca, and still couldn't get one in time. I ended up ordering one of the EV versions (that doesn't have the 11/12 toggle), installed it, and it shifts a lot smoother, and so far so good after a few rides. Fingers crossed, racing this weekend. 😬

161 - 171 of 171 Posts