Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

101 - 120 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
No. That's not related to the spring breakage issue. You can fix your problem by tightening the cable.
Did you mean the pinch bolt or the cable tension itself? The pinch bolt is certainly tight. Maybe the cable is loose, but why would all gears shift perfectly?

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Did you mean the pinch bolt or the cable tension itself? The pinch bolt is certainly tight. Maybe the cable is loose, but why would all gears shift perfectly?
or alot of drag in the cable housing that keeps the cable head from seating the pawl assisted by the derailleur spring alone.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
I'm hoping this thread stays on topic. There are plenty of resources online to learn how to install and adjust shift levers.

Regarding the topic of Shimano 12 speed XTR and XT levers breaking, I don't think there's any way to operate the shift lever in a manner that makes failure more likely. Even pushing hard against the downshift stop doesn't stress the rocker spring that breaks. Half-shifting or any other 'wrong' way of shifting doesn't stress the spring in a manner that would make it break. However, those of us who ride in hilly areas and, therefore, shift more frequently, are going to see faster failure than those riding in relatively flat areas. That's because the defective rocker spring, when it flexes enough times, breaks without any warning. Then, you can still downshift when gravity puts the rocker by luck in the proper position, but the lever is basically toast. Can't be fixed. Only replaced.

I think it's a good idea for everyone with a failed shift lever to call Shimano warranty and speak directly with a human being (if that's possible for you depending on where you're located). First, you're more likely to get a replacement sent out to you quickly for free. I've received two replacements like that directly from Shimano. My other two replacements were from the bike shops where I bought them and that took a lot more time. In one case, the LBS charged me for "postage"--$25 US! Secondly, I'm hoping that the more direct verbal feedback Shimano gets, the more likely they'll publicize that they fixed the problem--when and if they finally do fix it permanently.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
i fear we're going to have a to 'crowdsource' a fix if supply issues continue. maybe an orthodontic band will fit in there? there's got to be a way to overhaul these, even if it means pulling all the circlips from the top down.

BTW: i just talked to Shimano. really nice CSR. he says they "are addressing it", but doesn't know what is being done or what the status is yet. He affirmed that obviously, we should be getting three years out of them minimum.

·
Lover
40 Posts
I live in The Netherlands and although we don't have big uphills nor downhills the tracks here are all about little climbs and little 'downhills'.... So it takes a fair amount of shifting.
My 2020 Trek Fuel EX came with a XTR shifter which performed very good, until last week. And yes, exactly the same as reported here. I contacted Shimano-MTB Netherlands and they advised me to bring the shifter to a Service Center which then could send the shifter to them.....
That's what I did yesterday so .... now we wait for what they have to say. #fingerscrossed

·
Registered
2 Posts
I installed a XT 12 speed drive groupset in November 20 and the shifter has failed as described in this thread after ten weeks of flatish riding. Replacement shifter units are now unavailable across the entire M61/71/81/9100 series and some online stores show these shifters as discontinued. Maybe Shimano is releasing a replacement, but in the meanwhile a store credit doesn't get the bike working.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Jenson and universalcycles both had some stock as of a couple days ago in xt and xtr. Could be gone by now though. Might have to swap 22.2 to ispec top covers or vice versa tho.

Otherwise theres always the bay

·
Registered
5 Posts
never. i'll never support a company that thinks its customers are too stupid to care about real documentation.
I have no experience with SRAM, so I don’t know what you mean.
I do have a few issues with Shimano, the shifter failures being just one.
Shimano SW and connectability (emtb) is completely unreliable.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
agreed that Shimano's software stuff is a little esoteric and blackbox. i do like that shimano has an entire site dedicated to product info, specs, compatibility, exploded views, and service manuals.

·
since 4/10/2009
30,828 Posts
I have another thats been going for over a year and 1200 miles. THAT shifter i bought from Germany the minute XTR12 came out.
I don't have as many miles on mine, but my M9100 shifter is also one that I bought SUPER early from Germany before it was available stateside. So far no problems with it. I'm curious if this is related to them ramping up production for to make these things more widely available.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
yep, really wondering same. I think I'm going to take my good one apart and see if i can contrast the spring material. the new one that broke had a spring that looked like a staple. there were some OTHER springs in the mechanism, that looked phosphated and more robust despite a similar gauge.. i.e. is one heat treated and the other not. are they the same material? etc.

·
since 4/10/2009
30,828 Posts
yep, really wondering same.
I think there's some evidence that suggests it's possible. I mean, we KNOW they were having production issues with various bits back then. They had a really hard time getting cranksets on the market. They had a hard time getting the Scylence hubs out, and when they finally had hubs out, they didn't completely match what was planned/announced. They had to make changes. They dumped the lightweight 11spd cassette and the hub spacing that was specific to that cassette.

Do the newer shifters have the 11/12spd switch on them still, like the early ones?

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Do the newer shifters have the 11/12spd switch on them still, like the early ones?
OMG! i didn't even realize this! No, it doesn't. My older "German" shifter DOES have the switch. The newer XTR i just got from Jenson USA does NOT. the lower clamshell has a blank spot there. I'm going to take them apart here in a few min and compare the insides.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Bummer, the 12-spd shifter was supposed to work alright with 11-spd indexing. I was going to slowly migrate over so the spouse wouldn’t notice. Now that’s off the table

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Ok, so i disassembled both a new shifter and an original 11/12 shifter. sadly, there's no smoking gun. The frame stamping is slightly different in lieu of the 11/12 switch, but everything else looks the same to me. The spring in question appears to be the same gauge and finish. I can't really say that there's anything apparent that would point to a difference in failure rate.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
i think it still may. I didn't play with the switch very much, but i think it just limits the wheel after the 11th ratchet tooth. You should be okay i think. search around though.

·
since 4/10/2009
30,828 Posts
i think it still may. I didn't play with the switch very much, but i think it just limits the wheel after the 11th ratchet tooth. You should be okay i think. search around though.
I don't think it was ever supposed to work okay with the old 11spd stuff.

101 - 120 of 171 Posts