Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

81 - 100 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Oh I see the problem it’s a Q not an O. So QJ is October 2018.

S 2020
R 2019
Q 2018
P 2017

A January
B February
C March
D April
E May
F June
G July
H August
I Septembre
J October
K November
L December

Does anyone else have a date stamp on a failed shifter to share?
I have an XT 12 speed SL-M8100 I Spec EV. Got the bike in July 2020. The stamp says rs/RL:
Rear Shifter 2019/Dec.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
177 Posts
I decided to buy a XT replacement since my local shop had it and the date code is newer; ym/SE (2020 May?). Warranty replacement isn't available till end of the year according to CS rep. I was going to just get an SLX, but none were in stock.

Might just get the warranty replacement shifter too and keep it in my riding bag or in the Forbidden Druid storage area near the BB. Who knows if this thing will fail again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the exact same problem with an 8100 XT shifter. Found the spring that supposed to tension the rocker to be broken. It’s a flimsy spring. I’m a mechanical engineer and I would never release such spring to production...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
I have the exact same problem with an 8100 XT shifter. Found the spring that supposed to tension the rocker to be broken. It’s a flimsy spring. I’m a mechanical engineer and I would never release such spring to production...
What's the date code on the housing? (See above posts to decode that.)

·
Registered
586 Posts
Was there already a SLX shifter that broke?
I kinda thinking about upgrading my Deore shifter to SLX.
The M6100 shifter feels really cheap.
You can only upshift 3 gears at once which is fine, but for some reason, my shifter keeps blocking after 1, or to 2 shifts .
It only happens if you ride the bike, but not if it's on a stand. And it's a hard block.
What I did found out is, if I keep pressing my thumb against the paddle when this block happens, after 2 secondes the paddle becomes soft again and I can press further for the missing shifts.
It's really annoying.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I have had two XTR 12 speed shifters break. I keep a spare on the shelf. The last one took 5 months for a warranty replacement.

·
Registered
Specialized Epic Evo Pro
2 Posts
I bought a new Specialized Epic Evo with Shimano XTR 4 months ago. Having the same issues after 1,500km. No resolution yet, but I am told that they have to send the shifter to Shimano and wait for them to process the warranty claim. The only feedback I got was it could take some time...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
I bought a new Specialized Epic Evo with Shimano XTR 4 months ago. Having the same issues after 1,500km. No resolution yet, but I am told that they have to send the shifter to Shimano and wait for them to process the warranty claim. The only feedback I got was it could take some time...
Can you take a picture and post the little stickers on the shifter housing? They give the date of manufacture as a letter/number code. You could try talking directly with Shimano warranty (I presume you're in the US). That may speed things up. The phone number is in one of my posts above. I've gotten 3 shifters directly from them. The last two have been working well for about 3 months and I've got my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
Specialized Epic Evo Pro
2 Posts
Can you take a picture and post the little stickers on the shifter housing? They give the date of manufacture as a letter/number code. You could try talking directly with Shimano warranty (I presume you're in the US). That may speed things up. The phone number is in one of my posts above. I've gotten 3 shifters directly from them. The last two have been working well for about 3 months and I've got my fingers crossed.
I'm in Cape Town, South Africa. Things take a bit longer here than in the US. :)

I didn't take a photo but asked them to read it to me:

"it/RK"

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
That's November, 2019.

Hopefully, there's a date after which no failures are noted. If we can determine that date, we'll be able to better predict how reliable an individual shift lever will be. All of this would be unnecessary, of course, if Shimano would be transparent about this widespread defect and whether and when they fixed it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've had three XTR M9100 12 speed shifters break on me, all in the same manner. Two were warranty replacements for the first broken one. The latest replacement only lasted about 2 weeks before breaking.

What happens is the shift lever (long one) intermittently stops shifting--just pushes in with no resistance, no clicking and doesn't engage the shifting mechanism. Inside the shifter is a little metal rocker that's supposed to be held closed by (?) a spring. I think the spring breaks and stops holding the rocker closed. (The rocker when closed catches the teeth of a shift wheel.) The red arrow in the picture shows the little tooth end of this rocker lying in an abnormal, open position. Gravity can close the rocker, so once the problem starts, it happens intermittently after that but can still manage to shift on and off.

I've notified Shimano USA every time, but they haven't told me that anything is changing with the design of the shifter. Has this happened to anyone else?
I just had the same failure as yours. Mine is a xt but the same spring has gone. I bought a new one and took it apart to confirm what was wrong.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My xt 12 speed shifter had the same failure last week after about 10 months of riding. I hope they have updated the design now. I'd hate to see it fail in the middle of nowhere. I was lucky that mine failed at the very start of a ride!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
I've had four XTR 12 speed shifter levers fail over a period of several months. (I use this drivetrain on two bikes, a 29er and a fat bike.) In my experience, a failed shifter will still be able to downshift intermittently. That's because the tiny rocker lever that engages the downshift ring will close by gravity even when the tiny rocker return spring breaks. The problem is that downshifts will be intermittent. So you can still shift the bike but you can't count on any particular shift working. This means you're not likely to get stranded, but you won't be happy either!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had three XTR M9100 12 speed shifters break on me, all in the same manner. Two were warranty replacements for the first broken one. The latest replacement only lasted about 2 weeks before breaking.

What happens is the shift lever (long one) intermittently stops shifting--just pushes in with no resistance, no clicking and doesn't engage the shifting mechanism. Inside the shifter is a little metal rocker that's supposed to be held closed by (?) a spring. I think the spring breaks and stops holding the rocker closed. (The rocker when closed catches the teeth of a shift wheel.) The red arrow in the picture shows the little tooth end of this rocker lying in an abnormal, open position. Gravity can close the rocker, so once the problem starts, it happens intermittently after that but can still manage to shift on and off.

I've notified Shimano USA every time, but they haven't told me that anything is changing with the design of the shifter. Has this happened to anyone else?

I'm on my third shifter at the moment, the same issue...

·
Rides all the bikes!
3,822 Posts
I get the feeling I should check mine out and maybe buy a spare before I travel anywhere.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Unfortunately, there's no way to check. The spring that breaks does so suddenly and without warning. It's too small and buried in the mechanism to examine closely and i don't think any weakness would be visible to the eye.
I've been running XTR shifters because they're so smooth and precise. But i bought an XT spare just in case.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Just broke an xtr. Can post more pics of ratchet finger if interested. Funny thing is its brand new. 2 months old and 400 miles (forgot to check date code b4 i dropped off for warranty). I have another thats been going for over a year and 1200 miles. THAT shifter i bought from Germany the minute XTR12 came out. Ironic.

Aslo wonder if certain shift habits exacerbate the issue. EG letting the lever ratchet only one notch before shifting a second time. OR maybe letting the shift lever slam home after grabbing a handful of gears. Curious..

Has anybody gotten the word from shimano on if theyre making running changes to address this? Or is it going to be another wandering bite point deal that goes completely unacknowledged.

Shimano is slipping just like this shifter..

·
Registered
230 Posts
My brand new 9100 shifter sometimes skips the first upshift click. It just moves freely. Should I be worried? Warranty, already?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
No. That's not related to the spring breakage issue. You can fix your problem by tightening the cable.

81 - 100 of 171 Posts