Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

201 - 220 of 237 Posts

·
Hoolie Ghoulie on Strava.
3,211 Posts
A glimmer of good news: XT is warranted for 2 years, not 1. (XTR gets a 3 year warranty.)
This is not helpful to me, when 3 weeks ago I drove 12 hours from Oakland CA to Tucson AZ to ride with a friend living down there. Covid kept me from flying. When on EPIC Mt Trip, you dont want your equipment to fail on you. That is why I always try to buy bulletproof parts for my bikes. Its the bike trips. Anyone can get home from local trailhead and fix their bike, but the real inconvenience is if you travel to Moab, or Tahoe, or Downieville, or Oakridge OR, and ONE bike component fails you, even though you meticulously maintain your bike. This POS shifter failed me in Ft Bragg CA, the first time, which is 3 1/2 hours away from home. It was overnight bike trip. A local rider loaned me a SRAM 12 speed shifter, and let me mail it back to him a week later, after I received a temporary DEORE SLX shifter, rush ordered from Jenson, which I sold after receiving my warranty XT shifter, which broke a few months later (2nd one to break). Maybe I should keep this 2nd broken one until just shy of 2 year mark, and see if I get it replaced by NEXT generation shifter that works. Hmmmm. Processing.
NOTE: thanks to all on this thread! Good info.

·
Registered
845 Posts
This just happened to me on today's ride. Anyone get a warranty replacement recently? What's the time frame looking like? Is Shimano able to fill warranty replacements at this time at all? I'm submitting my warranty claim through Jenson USA.

Edit: Just called Shimano directly and they're looking at the 3rd week of May for lead time. I'll just send my shifter to Shimano USA directly. I have a spare 12s XT lever, but damn. I've lost all confidence in Shimano with this fiasco. My XT lever is a ticking time bomb too, and I have some trips coming up in the summer.

I love Shimano products, but this generation is just not as good as the previous generation. The M9000 generation XTR moniker actually meant something and represented the pinnacle of engineering and technology that Shimano had to offer. Instead, the new M9100 XTR is practically the same as the lesser stuff but made with a lighter case and a different finish. Even with over 1000 miles on my M9100 drivetrain, I still feel that my M9000 is better in every single way except for shifting under load.

I have vehemently defended Shimano for the longest time, but I'm considering going SRAM to not have to deal with unexpected and unpredictable failures. All it takes is one glaring, unpredictable problem and this is it.

Shimano, if you're reading this, you're going to lose out on loyal customers and an even larger stake of the bike market if you don't acknowledge this problem and fix it. This is the kind of **** you expect from SLX level and below. And in all honesty, something I would have expected from SRAM. Not the top of the line XTR.

Completely and utterly unacceptable.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Personally, I would avoid “users”, and go by “number of hours used”. Some people ride 3 hours per week, some ride 10 hours per week. Some places are undulating terrain, while others are a 1 hour climb in granny gear followed by 5 minutes of DH. I have had every generation of Shimano XT shifter since 1980’s. Never had one fail Until these 2 units, 8100 series, which is garbage. My new SRAM shifter that runs my Shimano Drivetrain is a GREAT piece. Feels so solid. But I miss the Shimano features, like Forefinger Shifting. I just hope Shimano makes a public statement about an improved unit, so I can support them, without having to wait until next generation of shifter.

Yeah might be luck also , I replaced my Eagle X01 with the XTR and it shifts way better and stays that way. I've had the XTR since it came out and I ride like 10 hours a week. I asked two of my friends that are shop mechanics and they haven't seen anything go wrong when the shifters yet, but saw some early XTR cassettes had issues which I had. Only used 9100 series though.

·
Registered
Forbidden Druid / ElevenSix / Fox 36 / Secus / Runt / XT / One Up Carbon Bar / Transfer
229 Posts
This just happened to me on today's ride. Anyone get a warranty replacement recently? What's the time frame looking like? Is Shimano able to fill warranty replacements at this time at all? I'm submitting my warranty claim through Jenson USA.

Edit: Just called Shimano directly and they're looking at the 3rd week of May for lead time. I'll just send my shifter to Shimano USA directly. I have a spare 12s XT lever, but damn. I've lost all confidence in Shimano with this fiasco. My XT lever is a ticking time bomb too, and I have some trips coming up in the summer.

I love Shimano products, but this generation is just not as good as the previous generation. The M9000 generation XTR moniker actually meant something and represented the pinnacle of engineering and technology that Shimano had to offer. Instead, the new M9100 XTR is practically the same as the lesser stuff but made with a lighter case and a different finish. Even with over 1000 miles on my M9100 drivetrain, I still feel that my M9000 is better in every single way except for shifting under load.

I have vehemently defended Shimano for the longest time, but I'm considering going SRAM to not have to deal with unexpected and unpredictable failures. All it takes is one glaring, unpredictable problem and this is it.

Shimano, if you're reading this, you're going to lose out on loyal customers and an even larger stake of the bike market if you don't acknowledge this problem and fix it. This is the kind of **** you expect from SLX level and below. And in all honesty, something I would have expected from SRAM. Not the top of the line XTR.

Completely and utterly unacceptable.
You’re echoing my sentiments exactly. I warrantied my XT shifter last November as was told I had to wait till May. That’s BS in my book, because they’re outfitting tons of OEM builds ahead of me. No problems there. They lose money on me, so why bother, right? Of course, if I was waiting that long because they were creating an updated shifter addressing the problem, I'd be happy. But... They don't tell us anything and we fork out our own money to fix their error in the meantime. My replacement XT shifter, which I had to buy, is still working. I have an SLX replacement I carry with me at all times for obvious reasons. If I were you, I’d get a SRAM shifter, which won’t break, and use with your current drivetrain. Going forward though... I’ll likely get a different brand after this **** show.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
845 Posts
You’re echoing my sentiments exactly. I warrantied my XT shifter last November as was told I had to wait till May. That’s BS in my book, because they’re outfitting tons of OEM builds ahead of me. No problems there. They lose money on me, so why bother, right? Of course, if I was waiting that long because they were creating an updated shifter addressing the problem, I'd be happy. But... They don't tell us anything and we fork out our own money to fix their error in the meantime. My replacement XT shifter, which I had to buy, is still working. I have an SLX replacement I carry with me at all times for obvious reasons. If I were you, I’d get a SRAM shifter, which won’t break, and use with your current drivetrain. Going forward though... I’ll likely get a different brand after this **** show.

Shimano is prideful and old school. If they ever make updates to the shifter, the general public will never know. If they go public with this stupid spring issue(which I don't think they ever will), they'll have to admit that they screwed up. Best case scenario is that they come out with V2 shifters(and/or other components) which will look slightly different and backed by marketing speak. They won't have to admit any wrongdoing, while at the same time, introducing a 'new and improved' shifter(and/or other components) to the market. Swept under the rug, but those affected will remember.

I've already jumped ship to the mechanical SRAM XX1 v2 with the 10-52 cassette. I'm shelving my XTR groupset until this sorts itself out. But I'll be using the XTR crank for an SS conversion build on my Chameleon C. The XTR crank is the nicest thing about the entire groupset and it'd be a shame to just let it sit. Back in the day, when you bought Shimano, you knew the product was finished and you're not beta testing for an update 2-3 years down the line. That's what SRAM does. It's a shame Shimano trying to compete with SRAM by trying to be SRAM. But at least SRAM has never left me stranded just by using their drivetrain regularly.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Back in the day, when you bought Shimano, you knew the product was finished and you're not beta testing for an update 2-3 years down the line. That's what SRAM does. It's a shame Shimano trying to compete with SRAM by trying to be SRAM. But at least SRAM has never left me stranded just by using their drivetrain regularly.
I think the rolls have kinda switched over the years.
Sram made upgrades again and again.
While Shimano never admits failures and is sitting them out instead of changing anything.
Well at least it feels that way.

All of my Sram stuff never let me down, brakes, drivetrains and components.
My Shimano stuff is also great, except for the brakes. I had a few failing brakes.
The new Shimano drivetrain is kinda maintenance needy and I don't get the HG+ hype.
I don't feel anything special from HG+. I think the old 11 speed is actually better.
Once my 12 speed cassette is toast, I will go back to 11 or 10 speed.

·
Registered
Ibis Ripley
8 Posts
This just happened to me with my XT SL-M8100 shifter. I took off on a ride and it stopped shifting up the cassette completely. I felt lucky that it didn’t stop working late in the ride when I would have had more trouble getting back. I swapped it out for a spare SLX shifter that I had. I’m also trying a GX shifter, which I think I might use permanently. It seems smoother and I have more confidence in its reliability. I’m very disappointed with Shimano. The date code on mine is SJ, manufactured on Oct 2020. I rode it for about 2 months.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had the exact problem last year on my 1st M9100 shifter after a year of on and off use. Had a full refund and bought a second shifter which has just had the exact problem, this one only lasted 5months. Definitely a design flaw, and critical failure should this happen mid race it would be a complete nightmare. Been a Shimano fan for 20+ yrs but will throw in the towel here and move to Sram can’t risk this happening again, especially mid race stuck with only down shift. Death sentence to the legs!

·
Registered
1 Posts
That's exactly the issue! I knew this had to be more widespread than Shimano originally told me (as in 'never before') when I first reported it about 3 months ago. I think every rider that's had this happen needs to call Shimano Tech or Warrany support and report the issue with as much detail as possible.

This is clearly a serious design flaw and Shimano is going to have to replace a lot of these shifters over the next many months. Folks who haven't had this happen to their shifters yet should expect it to happen at some point in the future after enough shifts against the hard-stop low gear have occurred. In your case, I think the pivot got damaged after many hard-stop shifts and finally suddenly gave out during a normal shift. Once this happens, the shifter is toast and cannot be repaired, either by the end-user or a bike shop.

Thank you for your report.

I've had the same issue with my new XT-M8100 shifter on my 6 month old Trek Fuel EX 8 XT. Hoping Shimano can figure it out.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I sent my XTR shifter to Shimano on 4/8, they received it on 4/12. To my surprise, I have a UPS notification stating something will be delivered to me on 4/17 from Shimano. I assume it's the replacement shifter.

I guess they have some stock at HQ for warranty replacements. I'm curious about the date code on it though. Send yours in now if you haven't already done so.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Great to know they’re not being fussy. After my second XTR broke I don’t want another even under warranty as I fear it breaks during a long ride. Have just purchased a 12s Deore for £30 roughy same weight, different shifting mech believe these have no issues. Should hopefully see me through a year or two until XTR wireless comes out 👍

·
Registered
Forbidden Druid / ElevenSix / Fox 36 / Secus / Runt / XT / One Up Carbon Bar / Transfer
229 Posts
I sent my XTR shifter to Shimano on 4/8, they received it on 4/12. To my surprise, I have a UPS notification stating something will be delivered to me on 4/17 from Shimano. I assume it's the replacement shifter.

I guess they have some stock at HQ for warranty replacements. I'm curious about the date code on it though. Send yours in now if you haven't already done so.
It appears as though XTR owners get replacements quicker. Based on reports, it seems like those might not even be real fixes, just another bad shifter they have stock of. Who knows? I warrantied my XT last November and was told I might get something in May. I'm skeptical to use my SLX backup because I also don't want to have issues during a big ride. I'm getting a GX as those are reported as sufficient or even better.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
This is not helpful to me, when 3 weeks ago I drove 12 hours from Oakland CA to Tucson AZ to ride with a friend living down there. Covid kept me from flying. When on EPIC Mt Trip, you dont want your equipment to fail on you. That is why I always try to buy bulletproof parts for my bikes. Its the bike trips. Anyone can get home from local trailhead and fix their bike, but the real inconvenience is if you travel to Moab, or Tahoe, or Downieville, or Oakridge OR, and ONE bike component fails you, even though you meticulously maintain your bike. This POS shifter failed me in Ft Bragg CA, the first time, which is 3 1/2 hours away from home. It was overnight bike trip. A local rider loaned me a SRAM 12 speed shifter, and let me mail it back to him a week later, after I received a temporary DEORE SLX shifter, rush ordered from Jenson, which I sold after receiving my warranty XT shifter, which broke a few months later (2nd one to break). Maybe I should keep this 2nd broken one until just shy of 2 year mark, and see if I get it replaced by NEXT generation shifter that works. Hmmmm. Processing.
NOTE: thanks to all on this thread! Good info.
buy a SRAM Eagle shifter as a back up. It's compatible with the Shimano 12 speed stuff

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,379 Posts
I'm skeptical to use my SLX backup because I also don't want to have issues during a big ride. I'm getting a GX as those are reported as sufficient or even better.

Why? I don't know of anyone who has reported an SLX failure. The mechanism is different because it doesn't have the dual-gear-change function. Many people have "upgraded" to SLX to avoid both this problem and lighten the up-shifts from the XT/XTR clunk.

Reactions: OneTrustMan

·
Registered
845 Posts
Just got my replacement today direct from Shimano. The date code is SL(December 2020) and it's an M9100 XTR.

Looking back on this thread, I may have the latest production date. Does anyone have a failed shifter from December 2020 and later?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Why? I don't know of anyone who has reported an SLX failure. The mechanism is different because it doesn't have the dual-gear-change function. Many people have "upgraded" to SLX to avoid both this problem and lighten the up-shifts from the XT/XTR clunk.
I'm aware. So far, so good for SLX i the forums, but I have not inspected it personally nor is my confidence high with Shimano. GX is a small investment for sense of security. At the moment I just carry the extra shifter with me.

201 - 220 of 237 Posts