Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i know there already a thread about the avid vs shimano but im still kinda stuck on what brakes to go with, im currently running hayes in which arn't bad brakes i thought it was time to try some other brakes to see if i like them better...i need some opinions about the avid elixier 9 trails, magura brakes and then if i should even bother going back to shimano? the only thing is that i like a firm feel to the lever and then i like the powerfulness to the point where i can lockup my wheel if i need to, i have 7in avid cleansweeper x 185 rotors...so i need some help here.

·
Registered
402 Posts
X9 Trail. More power. More modulation. More consistent feel. More miles between bleeds.

I've had two sets of XT's for two years, and a set of XO Trails for one year. The XT's were great out of the box, but I've had way more issues with them. My buddy had to have his caliper replaced under warranty because it leaked constantly. Shimano only sent the caliper and it took forever to get a good bleed on it. Another buddy just had a small crash and the entire reservoir cap (which is a giant piece of shiny plastic) broke off (it's only held on by a small sliver of aluminum). Mine need constant bleeds to get a consistent feel and after a few weeks of new pads need to be constantly "pumped up."

I did have a leaky caliper on my XO Trails which showed up after a month of riding. SRAM sent a full new brake set and they've been fine ever since.

The bonus with the X9 Trails is that they are identical to the XO Trails, except with heavier brake pads and slightly less money.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
X9 Trail. More power. More modulation. More consistent feel. More miles between bleeds.

I've had two sets of XT's for two years, and a set of XO Trails for one year. The XT's were great out of the box, but I've had way more issues with them. My buddy had to have his caliper replaced under warranty because it leaked constantly. Shimano only sent the caliper and it took forever to get a good bleed on it. Another buddy just had a small crash and the entire reservoir cap (which is a giant piece of shiny plastic) broke off (it's only held on by a small sliver of aluminum). Mine need constant bleeds to get a consistent feel and after a few weeks of new pads need to be constantly "pumped up."

I did have a leaky caliper on my XO Trails which showed up after a month of riding. SRAM sent a full new brake set and they've been fine ever since.

The bonus with the X9 Trails is that they are identical to the XO Trails, except with heavier brake pads and slightly less money.
thats what i had thought because i was leaning towards the trails since i wanted the avid code r's, i had the same problems with the xt's when i had them, i had a leaking piston and the bleed didn't even stay pressurized, so i had no power when i needed it. i don't know why people are hating the avid's but i think they just needed to come out with some good brakes in order to get them back in the game, but thanks i think im going to invest in the trails with the sintered pads

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Normally i'd say go out and demo them but if you had XTs before and still think your Hayes are good enough, don't know what to say, m785 XTs seem much more powerful to me.

For pure power, less caustic mineral oil, ease of bleed, go XT.

For better modulation, cheaper rotors and pads (compared to Icetech), go Elixer trails.

Then there is the "clean" factor, if you are using Sram shifters and a Reverb post it all goes together in a single clamp on the bar. Same with Shimano (if you stay all ispec A or B) except not sure about about a dropper post.

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
XT hands down.

I've ridden Avid's, Formula's, and XT's and the XT's win hands down. Merlin and BlueSky will sell them around $90ish sometimes too. Can't get much cheaper than that and these are much better than the alternatives.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I suppose being a bad mechanic has nothing to do with the folks on here having problems with XT brakes? I have been running BR-M765 on both my bikes since 2008 with absolutely no problem.I only use Shimano brake fluid, I feel most riders have problems because they do not.I have no problem bleeding them...at all.

·
~ B A D A S S ~
3,238 Posts
ok i know there already a thread about the avid vs shimano but im still kinda stuck on what brakes to go with, im currently running hayes in which arn't bad brakes i thought it was time to try some other brakes to see if i like them better...i need some opinions about the avid elixier 9 trails, magura brakes and then if i should even bother going back to shimano? the only thing is that i like a firm feel to the lever and then i like the powerfulness to the point where i can lockup my wheel if i need to, i have 7in avid cleansweeper x 185 rotors...so i need some help here.
I would avoid avid like the plague. the maguras are plastic now and thus crap. that leaves shimano. shimanos have no spares and often stops working in the cold though. -20c

I would go with hopes or formulas if I could find them..

·
Registered
59 Posts
What exactly is the problem with Avid brakes? the BB7s are
ok, I read so many bad reviews about their hydraulic offerings .I am quite satisfied with Shimano hydraulic brakes and find no reason to try anything else.No problem with operation with temps as low as 8 degrees F.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have the elixir 9 trail. Consistent power under heavy downhill use where my elixir 5s would have lost half it's braking power. Modulation is fantastic, perfect control on the amount of brake power when needed. My shimano XTs on my XC bike are great too, but too grabby, good if you like instant on brakes.

Then there are the new Sram Guide brakes.SRAM Guide hydraulic disc brakes launched - video - BikeRadar

·
Registered
20 Posts
i have a pair of old LX brakes that have outlasted 3 sets of Avids, and still feel great

I now run XT's and they are the best brakes ever
I use organic pads so the modulation is better (not so grabby)
i'm not a heavy braker so have no probs with longevity

I used these to replace my Avid elixers (my previous juicy 7's went straight to the bin)
On my spare bike i went with my old LX brakes rather than use the 1 year old elixers
Still feels a far superior brake with no lever flop

i eventually upgraded the Avid rotors to ice tech and wow
I run a 203 up front which may be overkill for a 160mm bike
But when I'm pointing downward, the confidence these inspire is worth the minute weight penalty

·
West Chester, PA
5,009 Posts
i don't know why people are hating the avid's but i think they just needed to come out with some good brakes in order to get them back in the game, but thanks i think im going to invest in the trails with the sintered pads
LOL. Are you a Sram shill ? You post this thread without even bothering to read the 50 similar ones that have been posted in the last 2 years, then you go with the guy who is BY FAR the minority.

And if you don't understand why people hate avids - read this forum. Then after you spend a few hours on that you can go into the manufacturer forums and read all the threads in those about people having trouble with avids that came on their complete bikes. Then do a google search and find all the threads on other mountain bike sites. The only entity on the planet that doesn't complain about Avid brakes is Mountain Bike Action magazine, because they are so fair and balanced. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
Yeti sb 115 T3
127 Posts
LOL. Are you a Sram shill ? You post this thread without even bothering to read the 50 similar ones that have been posted in the last 2 years, then you go with the guy who is BY FAR the minority.

And if you don't understand why people hate avids - read this forum. Then after you spend a few hours on that you can go into the manufacturer forums and read all the threads in those about people having trouble with avids that came on their complete bikes. Then do a google search and find all the threads on other mountain bike sites. The only entity on the planet that doesn't complain about Avid brakes is Mountain Bike Action magazine, because they are so fair and balanced. :rolleyes:
Nicely said!!

·
Sooz
103 Posts
I run SRAM XX on my XC race bike - Trek TopFuel, Shimano XT on my spare XC bike - Yeti ASR (cant bring myself to sell it); I have run Avid Elixir CR's in the past as well as some older model Shimano XT's. My application is mainly XC racing and all-mountain riding. In a word, go Shimano XT - fantastic in absolute terms and also value for money terms. You wont be disappointed.

·
Sooz
103 Posts
i have a pair of old LX brakes that have outlasted 3 sets of Avids, and still feel great

I now run XT's and they are the best brakes ever
I use organic pads so the modulation is better (not so grabby)
i'm not a heavy braker so have no probs with longevity

I used these to replace my Avid elixers (my previous juicy 7's went straight to the bin)
On my spare bike i went with my old LX brakes rather than use the 1 year old elixers
Still feels a far superior brake with no lever flop

i eventually upgraded the Avid rotors to ice tech and wow
I run a 203 up front which may be overkill for a 160mm bike
But when I'm pointing downward, the confidence these inspire is worth the minute weight penalty
Agree on running Organic pads. They are great !

·
Registered
3,172 Posts

I was a life member of the Avid hater club too but my XO1 bike came matchmakered with Elixier trail 9s and got to tell you they are great brakes. Better modulation than shimano with about 20% less power. Still have the funky push-pull bleed but the mX85 shimanos need that funky bleed cup.

·
~ B A D A S S ~
3,238 Posts
push pull bleed is vastly superior to all other kinds of bleeds imo. you just go at it, up and down until all the bubbles are gone. i loved that with my formulas, perfect bleeds possible, no guessing, no bs.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.