Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
EDIT: Shimano is warrantying. It's caused by a fragile + broken spring that tensions the pawl.

My 7-month old shifter (XT M8100) randomly stopped shifting up the cassette. I took it apart and cleaned out the grit, but it looks like the pawl has no tension to engage the ratchet. What normally keeps the pawl under tension? And is there a way to fix this?

Pawl not engaging ratchet unless it randomly falls into place:

Hand Finger Nail Thumb Bicycle part

·
Chump
69 Posts
That happened to mine after about 11 months of use. It took the LBS about 4 months to get a warranty replacement for it from Shimano. In the meantime, I switched my shifter and derailleur to Sram. 🤷‍♂️

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
12,980 Posts
That happened to mine after about 11 months of use. It took the LBS about 4 months to get a warranty replacement for it from Shimano. In the meantime, I switched my shifter and derailleur to Sram. 🤷‍♂️
Please send me your warranty replacement Shimano shifter. PM me and I’ll give you my mailing address. Thx!
=sParty

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Mine broke while on a trip in CO. Luckily found a local shop with an SLX in stock. When I got home I sent the XT into Shimano and received a replacement along with cable and housing within a week. Hopefully the new one has an updated spring that doesn't break. It's funny, I passed on getting AXS as I was concerned about reliability....lol.

·
BOOM goes the dynamite!
Occasionally Cranky
5,304 Posts
Mine broke while on a trip in CO. Luckily found a local shop with an SLX in stock. When I got home I sent the XT into Shimano and received a replacement along with cable and housing within a week. Hopefully the new one has an updated spring that doesn't break. It's funny, I passed on getting AXS as I was concerned about reliability....lol.
Interesting. I'd pass on AXS because we have sticks and rocks on the ground around here and a replacement RD is $$$.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just to conclude, the pawl engages the ratchet through a tiny wire spring. This spring has a single wire that goes over the top of the pawl for tension, but that wire broke off. This seems to be the same issue that others are facing in the above linked XTR thread.

My LBS called Shimano and they'll be sending an XTR shifter as a free upgrade. So the bad news is I'm getting a shifter that may also be prone to failure. The good news is Shimano is diligent with their warranty, and XTRs include a 3-year warranty (compared to XT's 2-year warranty). The new shifter should arrive in 2 - 3 days.

·
Registered
9,597 Posts
Hmm opportunity for someone that has connections to get a stronger spring made and sell.
I get Shimano is warranting them, but easy to spend $5 on spring and not worry about it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
XTR here, same issue I assume?
Yes, likely the same issue as mine. It won't shift/click unless the pawl randomly falls into the ratchet teeth (you can try to force this by jostling the shifter) or if you're in the smallest 3 cogs. In the latter case, the pawl (circled) can push against the "wall" (straight line) to shift without engaging the ratchet.

Hand Fluid Gesture Finger Thumb

·
unrooted
1,305 Posts
Does anyone know if shimano will warranty these shifters if I bought it on eBay? It’s the only place I could find a group set in April, and my shifter won’t always shift.

is the SLX shifter a better option?

·
Registered
31 Posts
As far as I understand SLX should be OK. (I got myself SLX shifter exactly for this reason over XT) XT and XTR are suffering from this problem. You will loose multi shift but gain reliability.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts