Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm upgrading my hardtail to a new 9 speed XT drivetrain and am having problems with the front deralliuer. The deralliuer I took off the bike was a 31.8 which fit perfectly. The one I am replacing it with is a "one-size-fits-all" deal with shims to get it to 31.8 and 28.X but the medium shim (for 31.8) makes the clamp far too small to accomodate my seat tube. The small shim is even further off and without a shim the clamp is too large. The directions were fairly clear by Shimano standards--simply put the metal plate inside the plastic clip and clip them on the inside of the clamp. Gray (m) for 31.8 and black (s) for 28.whatever.

Has anyone else had this problem or am I just too stupid to figure out how to use the shims?

·
Map Maker
1,244 Posts
kristian said:
I'm upgrading my hardtail to a new 9 speed XT drivetrain and am having problems with the front deralliuer. The deralliuer I took off the bike was a 31.8 which fit perfectly. The one I am replacing it with is a "one-size-fits-all" deal with shims to get it to 31.8 and 28.X but the medium shim (for 31.8) makes the clamp far too small to accomodate my seat tube. The small shim is even further off and without a shim the clamp is too large. The directions were fairly clear by Shimano standards--simply put the metal plate inside the plastic clip and clip them on the inside of the clamp. Gray (m) for 31.8 and black (s) for 28.whatever.

Has anyone else had this problem or am I just too stupid to figure out how to use the shims?
I had the same problem on my road bike it was an Ultegra front d. same deal the shims didn't work at all they even seemed as if they were for a different brand entirely! I tried evey combo possible I could come up with, I finally went back to the shop were I'd bought the front d.
The owner / head mechanic said no problem:
he got some snipers and cut one of the plastic shims up and just kiind of layed up in between the front d and the seat tube - no metal bits used at all. I was about to try some home made shim bits. basicly the same fix.

it works fine now no problems at all- just butcher up one of the plastic shim bits and chuck the metal bits. or make you own.
good luck

1 - 2 of 2 Posts