Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I've a M785 crank with the double chainring. I was wondering if it is possible to attach a bashguard to it. If anyone has done so, I'd like to see a picture of your setup.

Yes, I have tried googling and using the search function but that yield no results. Maybe I'm using the wrong search terms.

Thanks a lot for your help.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I believe the answer is still no. What I did was to get the M780, rip out the big chainring and put a E13 turbocharger bash guard.

Your best bet if you have a M785 is if you have ICGS mount and mount a taco bashguard.

Heres a picture of my setup. Excuse the mud.;)

Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
A muddy bike just shows that you're doin it right. :)

Hey, that's the exact bashguard I want to install, funny.^^ Anyway, a friend of mine says he might be able to mount it to the crank with some longer screws.

·
Registered
72 Posts
would be great if you could keep the big ring on. btw - been running my double m785 for a few months now and LOVE it. one of you machinists needs to mill a light weight bash for the 785 double with a new set of screws -- i'd certainly buy one. yep, red anno please.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What about the funny curved shape that I see at the ends of the arms? Did that mesh well with the bash guard? I can't really tell from your photo.
It meshes quite well, the bash guard is symmetrical and the bash guard has a slight indentation which allows the these 2 components to fit without undue contact.

Please note that I am using a M780, not a M785. I'll try to take a photo to show you what I mean when I get home.

Cheers!

·
Enthusiast
5,360 Posts
Thanks doom. I am kinda wanting to try ten speed, but I have grown accustomed to always riding with a bash guard. Seems kind of odd that no one has really attacked that market. I also note that Shimano's design of the M785 seems to preclude a guard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Typos and terseness are to be expected.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Amazing that with the XT (and the the new 2013 SLX doubles) Shimano seem to have abandoned the double and bash configuration that they demonstrated so successfully on the SLX M665 crankset.

Unless someone comes up with a bash specifically designed to mount on those new XT crank spiders, the only alternative for us double & bash enthusiasts seems to be buy the triple and modify it...

·
Enthusiast
5,360 Posts
Amazing that with the XT (and the the new 2013 SLX doubles) Shimano seem to have abandoned the double and bash configuration that they demonstrated so successfully on the SLX M665 crankset.
"Annoying" is the word I use. I'm really annoyed at both brands over their current crop of 10-speed doubles. I'd like to get some Shimano and SRAM product designers into a room and ask them "WTF?"

Excuse my language.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.