Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I couldn't find the exact answer to this question, so I'll post for an answer or direction on where to look.

I just picked up a set of the Shimano XT M775 brakes for my RFX. These will be replacing Mono Mini's since I wanted to get a little more power. I already have the Hope 183mm front/160mm rear floating rotors and Hope adapters. Can I use these with the XT brakes?

If I shouldn't use these, I can easily get other rotors/adapters.....if I use say, Hayes rotors...should I also use the Hayes adapters or get the Shimano ones? Same with Avid, etc?

I could just order the Shimano 6-bolt rotors and adapters...but Shimano seems to be very proud of their rotors and adapters i.e. $$$$.

Sorry, may be hard to understand, but I tried to word it as best I can.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I use non-shimano rotors with xt brakes, no problems. I also use shimano adapters with non-shimano brakes, 'cause those adapters are cheap and easy to get in any dimension. As long as it all fits, IMO you can use what you have. If something does not fit, then look for something else. No point in spending $$$ and throwing away good components.

·
Off the back...
2,304 Posts
I picked up some 775s as well, and will probably use Aztec rotors front and rear, as the Shimano ones are spendy, as you say. The Shimano adapters are inexpensive and well-built, as far as I can tell. The 183mm rotor could be a tight fit, but you might as well try it and see - 1.5mm shouldn't make a big difference.

·
aka dan51
6,022 Posts
If you are using the Shimano adapter designed for a 180mm rotor, then the rotor will probably hit/rub the caliper. I had a similar situation, but in reverse. I have a Shimano 180mm rotor, 775 caliper, but got a cheap caliper adapter instead of the Shimano one. The adapter looked like it was designed for a 185 rotor. I had to grind off about 3mm from from each post on the adapter to get the caliper to sit properly around the rotor. From now on, I'm not going to mix/match brands.

The Shimano rotors are really nice too. My front 8" has been going strong for 4 years, the 6" ones seem to wear out after 2 years. Just got the 7", so we'll see how long it lasts. For something that lasts that long, it's money well spent.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.