Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. need some advice. I'm going to start off 2010 by building my first bike (one of many resolutions)

I've never built one before and I also plan on making it a 2x9 (I think)

i've always run XT or XTR 3x9's and the thought of a cleaner chain line is appealing.

XX is crazy expensive so I'm thinking of XX light:thumbsup:

I see that the XT crankset is sold as a touring option in Europe with a 26 inner and 36 middle. What I'm not sure of is if the spread between those two rings wouldn't make it suitable for mountain biking. I know this might sound dumb. FSA makes a compact 2x9 and obviously there's XX.

Why doesn't Shimano market this crank in the US? Seems perfect for a 2x9, so is there anything I should be aware of that would keep it from shifting as well, or hopefully better than my current M770 XT triple?

Thanks, I think the medium cage XT shadow RD an the XT front mech would be compatible with the M771

thanks, any help would be greatly appreciated before I start buying parts

·
Glorified Hybrid Owner
1,091 Posts
velez3000 said:
Hi all. need some advice. I'm going to start off 2010 by building my first bike (one of many resolutions)

I've never built one before and I also plan on making it a 2x9 (I think)

i've always run XT or XTR 3x9's and the thought of a cleaner chain line is appealing.

XX is crazy expensive so I'm thinking of XX light:thumbsup:

I see that the XT crankset is sold as a touring option in Europe with a 26 inner and 36 middle. What I'm not sure of is if the spread between those two rings wouldn't make it suitable for mountain biking. I know this might sound dumb. FSA makes a compact 2x9 and obviously there's XX.

Why doesn't Shimano market this crank in the US? Seems perfect for a 2x9, so is there anything I should be aware of that would keep it from shifting as well, or hopefully better than my current M770 XT triple?

Thanks, I think the medium cage XT shadow RD an the XT front mech would be compatible with the M771

thanks, any help would be greatly appreciated before I start buying parts
They did (do) sell it in the US.

They've made an LX and an XT touring crank in the past as well.

All they need to do is make a 40t middle with ramps to go with this 26t granny!

That's all I want. Give it to me in an SLX and I'll buy it.

·
Old man on a bike
12,383 Posts
How are you going to adjust the chainline for the triple crank just by going to two rings? The crank is the same, it's just different stock chainring sizes that makes a 770 vs 771.

Since you already have these cranks why not just buy new chainrings and get rid of the big ring? Same thing. If you really want an XT with the 26-36-48 just buy it from Chainreactioncycles.com or someone in Europe that ships to the US, perhaps have your shop check to see if they can't order it otherwise.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts