Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Big Paws on a Puppy!!
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm seeing these for as low as $140 a set. The research I've done seems to indicate that the XT line of brakes are a solid product. At that price these brakes seemed like a nice alternative to the BB7's I was planning on using to build up my Inbred 26er.

Are the 765's "old" technology or are they just a model year or two behind? Anybody with 1st hand experience with them? Am I locked into using Shimano rotors? Better or worse than Hayes 9, Avid 3's, or 5's?

Good ol' Google was very helpful but I figured I'd ask here anyway and maybe pad my post count in the process. :D

Thanks!

·
Soft AND Tender
143 Posts
I have two sets. One pair on a 2005 Specialized that came on the bike, and one pair on my 2009 singlespeed 29er. I bought the second set for my SS because I was very unhappy with the feel (and NOISE) from the BB7's that came on the bike. I know most people have great experiences with the BB7's but I wasn't one of them.

For me the XT's have great modulation, ample stopping power (for my flyweight of 170), don't squeal or squeak, and generally just work and feel great.

My one BIG beef with them is that the great modulation completely goes away when the temperature dips below freezing. They still stop fine, but the levers get super stiff and the brakes engage when you barely pull the levers. Also I get some pad drag as the pistons don't want to retract in the cold either.

The winters don't last too long around here so I just deal with it since I seem to get 8-9 months of great braking performance out of them and I don't have the cash for the Hope brakes that I would really like to try!

Both the set I got in 2005 and the closeout set I bought in 2009 are still going strong.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Including levers? That would be a sweet deal. You can use any roter as long as they are the same size. I actually use avid rotor with my 765 - center lock rotor came with it 2005 pulses badly, so I dont' recommend those rotors. I think the caliper is pretty much the same with the current model, just using banjo bolt to side feed instead of straight line, so you have to be specific when you are changing out the hose. Not a big deal. Seal - I go ride at 10F temp and it drags a bit but not that badly. Beats my rim brake on old bike any day and any situation.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Hah I am looking at the same deal, just salivating and waiting 'til my tax return is deposited, I am buying them first thing.

I rode these two days ago. My buddy just built up his bike and the brakes/price piqued my interest. The levers feel very awesome, great power, and the modulation is great. Coming from a 4 yr old pair of Juicy 7's, anything is an improvement.

I was looking at new Hope brakes but the savings I just couldn't overlook. I also have ridden some Hopes but the price and great performance of these Shimanos are enough for my logical side to choose them and save money although they don't make me drool as a set of Hopes.The money saved is also going towards a wheel build. so win win

CBRATT- what temps did you notice this in Fahrenheit? Luckily I live in South Florida, so I don't think it'll be a big problem.

Go for it!

·
Soft AND Tender
143 Posts
RiceKilla said:
CBRATT- what temps did you notice this in Fahrenheit? Luckily I live in South Florida, so I don't think it'll be a big problem.QUOTE]

In my experience, lever feel and modulation started to degrade when the air temp was consistently in the high 20's (F). You should have nothing to worry about in Florida and they should work great year round.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
You can find them cheap on ebay.

Google shopping allows you to buy the levers for 70 for the set and calipers for 50 each. Or you can buy them at pricepoint for 80/end.

Performance is pretty good. It's a simple design. It lacks the "Servowave" that the new m775 has... so supposedly less power and less pad gap. But they're more than adequate. The XT were the same as the previous Saint brakes.

Apparently the seals don't take too kindly to freezing temperatures though. No rebuild/service parts are available from Shimano.

·
Big Paws on a Puppy!!
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There is an e-retailer selling these on E-Bay right now for $140.00 with free shipping without the rotors. Pricepoint has'em for about $170.00 I think all in. I was all set to pull the trigger on a set but this sounds like a deal breaker:

XSL_WiLL said:
Apparently the seals don't take too kindly to freezing temperatures though. No rebuild/service parts are available from Shimano.
Should this fact scare me away?

·
Registered
302 Posts
I'm thinking of getting a set of these from PricePoint, $170 for a set. Plus standard ground gets them to me in 2 days since I'm in CA.

·
Registered
5 Posts
To be honest I was a little skeptical of them at first. I crashed and toasted my rear brake (Hayes Mag) on my Marin Quake and the shop replaced them for free. I was hesitant at first for the simple fact they were going on a big bike used mainly for DH, but to my surprise they have plenty of power. They scrub off speed well enough when needed and modulation is good. Yes they do have the problem of not working as well in the cold, and that is because Shimano uses mineral oil in their brakes. The mineral oil does not do as well in the cold (freezing and below) as say Hayes or Avid which use DOT fluid. That aside I think these are pretty good brakes myself. If they can stand up to some DH abuse they must be worth the price especially for so cheap.

·
vermonter
215 Posts
i have used them for three seasons now with no complaints. I am big guy who rides fast and these scrub speed quickly and well. I have wheel sets with both lock on and bolt on rotors and all work. What i love about these brakes is the easy pad changes ( pull out a cotter pin, both pads slide out top of caliper, slide new pads in with the spring locked in between them and replace the cotter...two minutes tops). I also like working with the mineral oil rather than dot 3 that my hayes have. the pistons need occasional lubrication to keep the center, they get sticky after about 6 months. but the cheap up front cost, easy service and availability of parts (also they work with my combo shifters) was what sold me.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
The inboard piston on my rear 765 is sticky. Any suggestions on how how to "un-stick" it? Also, does Shimano make rebuild kits for these? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
William_Cannon said:
Pricepoint has the XT 765s set for $160. It's hard to say "no" at this price so what's the catch?
catch is that on ebay....they are selling take offs for 134 shipped. I am trying to stop myself from buying a set :(

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I bought a used set on ebay a couple years ago. I've gone through a couple sets of pads with no major problems. They work great and are no hassle.

I change the fluid once a year and have had to bleed them a couple times after accidentally hitting the lever when putting the frame in my trunk. One of the rear pistons was a little sticky this spring, but it was an easy fix.

·
Registered
332 Posts
why so set on shimano brakes?? tons of other great companies to look at...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts