Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Shimano XT M752 Crankset????

I can get the Shimano XT M750 Crankset for $89.00 USD - I know these are the older type XT Cranks so I was wondering if they were good value at this price and if any fellow MTB's here have any experience with this Crankset.

I'm considering upgrading the Cranks (Strongarm) that came on my 2003 Specialized Epic Comp.

Cheers

PS Just went for a ride with the hangover from hell - it did not help but I'm having an icy cold one now and that is!!

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
Mullos said:
I can get the Shimano XT M750 Crankset for $89.00 USD - I know these are the older type XT Cranks so I was wondering if they were good value at this price and if any fellow MTB's here have any experience with this Crankset.
I'm considering upgrading the Cranks (Strongarm) that came on my 2003 Specialized Epic Comp.
Cheers
PS Just went for a ride with the hangover from hell - it did not help but I'm having an icy cold one now and that is!!
That is a great price for that crankset. Make shure the bottom bracket will work with them.
Hangover from hell rides are very painfull but after a few ales it feels much better, i think it's all the water from the ride, rehydrating.
Happy New Year!!!

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Those are pretty good cranks, I am guessing Shimano sold a few hundred thousand of them. The reason they are so cheap is because they have been discontinued. You might consider changing out the bottom bracket at the same time if your running the OE. I never seem to get more than two years out of mine before they start clicking or falling apart. I think the BB is $30.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
You may as well update to the XT M752, also for USD 89.00 at Jensonusa, as it uses a more readily available bottom bracket; the M750 uses a square taper which is getting harder to obtain compared to the octalink type the M752 uses (Jenson also has the ES71 bb you'll need for 30 bucks so you can make one simple order). Upgraditis burning a hole in your pocket, eh?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everybody....

Bikinfoolferlife said:
You may as well update to the XT M752, also for USD 89.00 at Jensonusa, as it uses a more readily available bottom bracket; the M750 uses a square taper which is getting harder to obtain compared to the octalink type the M752 uses (Jenson also has the ES71 bb you'll need for 30 bucks so you can make one simple order). Upgraditis burning a hole in your pocket, eh?
Thanks to all who replied - I'm gonna go for it and purchase the M752 Cranks and ES71 Bottom Bracket - prices are too good to resist!!

Hang on a minute - I smell something burning - my pockets on fire man!!

Someone should have warned me about upgraditis!! - oh well, since giving up smoking and recreational Marijuanna use have to spend it on something - next will be giving up the booze - that's gonna be hard!!

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
Mullos said:
Thanks to all who replied - I'm gonna go for it and purchase the M752 Cranks and ES71 Bottom Bracket - prices are too good to resist!!

Hang on a minute - I smell something burning - my pockets on fire man!!

Someone should have warned me about upgraditis!! - oh well, since giving up smoking and recreational Marijuanna use have to spend it on something - next will be giving up the booze - that's gonna be hard!!
Xcelent choice, Booz not the beer :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bikinfoolferlife said:
I don't think Aussies are allowed to give up beer...
I fear you may be right - OK, maybe I'll limit by beer intake to 3 longnecks per week - after all it is summer here and yesterday it was 44c - bloody hot!!

It would be easier if I lived in CA as your beer is crap!!

Happy New Year.

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
Mullos said:
I fear you may be right - OK, maybe I'll limit by beer intake to 3 longnecks per week - after all it is summer here and yesterday it was 44c - bloody hot!!

It would be easier if I lived in CA as your beer is crap!!

Happy New Year.
It's only crap if you dont know what beer to drink ;). Newcastle Brown Ale, Anchor Steam, Guinness Stout, Full Sail Ale.
3 longnecks per week, thats a 1/2 day supply right there :D you need more.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ditto the Guinness....

dogonfr said:
It's only crap if you dont know what beer to drink ;). Newcastle Brown Ale, Anchor Steam, Guinness Stout, Full Sail Ale.
3 longnecks per week, thats a 1/2 day supply right there :D you need more.
Yeah - you can't go wrong with Guinness. I get it in the 440ml cans with the widget or should I say I used to.

Keep a look out for Cascade Premium Lager - don't know if you can get it in California but is a most excellent Lager Beer from Australia's oldest brewery in Tasmania and worth looking out for - must be drank ice cold - hell this is a MTB forum - what's going on!! :D

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
Mullos said:
Yeah - you can't go wrong with Guinness. I get it in the 440ml cans with the widget or should I say I used to.
Keep a look out for Cascade Premium Lager - don't know if you can get it in California but is a most excellent Lager Beer from Australia's oldest brewery in Tasmania and worth looking out for - must be drank ice cold - hell this is a MTB forum - what's going on!! :D
MTB= Burrito's & Beer :D
What is the Cascade similar to? I'll keep an eye out for it :cool:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Similiar To....

dogonfr said:
MTB= Burrito's & Beer :D
What is the Cascade similar to? I'll keep an eye out for it :cool:
Take the best things from Stella Artois and Becks and you have Cascade Premium Lager. :D

The brewery was recently taken over by the Fosters Group so if your favourite drinking hole has Fosters they should be able to source the Cascade. A bit of trivia for you - Aussies no longer drink Fosters - in fact I have not seen a pub with it on tape since the early nineties - Fosters it seems is consumed primarily overseas these days and so it should - very over rated.

Check it out here;

http://www.fosters.com.au/enjoy/beer/cascade_premium.htm

Attachments

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
Mullos said:
A bit of trivia for you - Aussies no longer drink Fosters - in fact I have not seen a pub with it on tape since the early nineties - Fosters it seems is consumed primarily overseas these days and so it should - very over rated.
Check it out here;
http://www.fosters.com.au/enjoy/beer/cascade_premium.htm
Thats ok because im not a Fosters drinker. It has a nutty flavor that i dont care for in a beer ;). I enjoy the flavor of a good beer, im a beeraholic :cool:.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
You're dissing California beer? The country that produces Fosters and Castlemaine? We have plenty of great beer here, have no idea what you've based your opinions on (dogonfr - the only one on your list is Anchor). Next time you come over just look me up and I'll introduce you to some of our finest...but you'll have to adjust your weekly limit (but we ride first, so ya earn it).

I just saw in the paper this morning about your heatwave in the Sydney area, 111 F on New Years Day...that's pretty warm.

ps Or did you mean Canada?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Just taking the piss mate!!

Bikinfoolferlife said:
You're dissing California beer? The country that produces Fosters and Castlemaine? We have plenty of great beer here, have no idea what you've based your opinions on (dogonfr - the only one on your list is Anchor). Next time you come over just look me up and I'll introduce you to some of our finest...but you'll have to adjust your weekly limit (but we ride first, so ya earn it).

I just saw in the paper this morning about your heatwave in the Sydney area, 111 F on New Years Day...that's pretty warm.

Just geeing you up mate - no offense intended - actually I have heard that the US has a come along way with full flavoured tasty beers in the last 20 years. If I ever get over again will hook up and we'll go on a good old fashioned Aussie pub crawl and play 8 ball for beers mate - after the ride!!

Cheers mate.

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
Bikinfoolferlife said:
Hay you missed Full Sail Ale that was on my list! Pyramid, Dog Town, my personal home brew, ohhhh im gettin thirsty for another beer got ta go :D.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
No offense taken, no worries. Unfortunately I haven't returned to Australia for 25 years now; I was treated to some very fine pub crawls by my hosts. I really should visit again, so watch out, I might take you up on your offer!

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
Bikinfoolferlife said:
No offense taken, no worries. Unfortunately I haven't returned to Australia for 25 years now; I was treated to some very fine pub crawls by my hosts. I really should visit again, so watch out, I might take you up on your offer!
When the kids are old enough for me to kick them out we can hook up bring our bikes & visit Mullos for a ride & beerfest :D.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.